586,326 active members*
4,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need a bit of help with the KL-DB25RS 6 axis breakout board

Ok, I am running this BOB using mach 3. This is my first time building a CNC and I am starting from scratch.
    After configuring the EStop, step and direction pins, and assigning the charge pump to pin 17, I hooked a logic analyzer up to the output pins.
    I am consistently receiving Direction signal on Z, Y, and X axis. Either a logic High or Low. I am assuming this is correct. However on the Step Pins for each axis, I am only ever getting a logic High. It never varies at all.

I at first assumed it was part of the charge pump system, but now I have set the output of the Charge Pump in Mach 3 to pin 17, and the Pump LED on the BOB comes on. Even after doing this, the step outputs are the same. I cannot find any decent documentation on the BOB.
    When I probe the serial port directly I do see a nice pulse on the step output, it is just not translating through the BOB.

Does anyone know how to get my output?

Help would be much appreciated.

Here is a link to the BOB:
    KL-DB25RS 6 axis Breakout Board with Relay and Spindle control | Automation Technology Inc

Are you doing any movement when measuring the voltage?

For the direction, you should jog back and forth. You should see 5V in one direction, and 0V in the other. IF you see that, you should be fine. You really can't measure the step pins.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am measuring using a logic analyzer, so I am not touching the setup at all while measuring. I am seeing the 5V and 0V for Direction. For Step when I probe the PC serial port, I see a pulse signal, however I cannot see the pulse signal after sending it through the BOB. Since I can get Direction but not Step, I am beginning to think that I got extremely unlucky and I am using 2 bad BOBs.

Hi

do you have a link to the instructions for the breakout board to see what the DIP switches control ?

since there are more i/o terminals than the 5 inputs and 12 outputs from the printer port

I guess some or all of the limit switch inputs are combined into one signal to reduce the number
    of printer port inputs required ( 4 limit switch inputs plus E-stop)

my initial thought is the step pulses could be too narrow to switch the breakout boards opto isolators

John

Re: Need a bit of help with the KL-DB25RS 6 axis breakout board

I about to wire-up and attempt to use my KL-DB25RS BOB on a 3 axis Grizzly setup. Has anyone discovered nomenclature on this board. I have the schema and the board pinout. I can't fine any info on the dip settings or any general discussion on what can be used simultaneously. I am using LinuxCNC and haven't found any info relating to LCNC setup of the BOB. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.