586,909 active members*
3,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Clunking noise on all steppers

Clunking noise on all steppers

Hello I am having trouble with a clunking noise on all my steppers at any speed, I have not changed any of the settings and not had any problems for 2 years, I am using an xp box so I dont think it has to do with my bios settings, Also I have tried plugging my power supply into the wall outlet directly bypassing the surge protector with no luck

some things I have noticed is that my monitor is sometimes fuzzy whether it is plugged in direct or through the protector, the indicator lights on the breakout board are bright except the ones that light when jogging which are visible but dim.

My unregulated power supply is running about 160v according to my multimeter is this within spec? thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by poorfarmer25 View Post
    Hello I am having trouble with a clunking noise on all my steppers at any speed, I have not changed any of the settings and not had any problems for 2 years, I am using an xp box so I dont think it has to do with my bios settings, Also I have tried plugging my power supply into the wall outlet directly bypassing the surge protector with no luck

some things I have noticed is that my monitor is sometimes fuzzy whether it is plugged in direct or through the protector, the indicator lights on the breakout board are bright except the ones that light when jogging which are visible but dim.

My unregulated power supply is running about 160v according to my multimeter is this within spec? thanks for your help!
    update- I have tried running everything through a ups I borrowed off another computer, It worked for several minutes then it started clunking again

The reservoir capacitor in the unregulated power supply may have dried out due to heating.

Think I figured it out replaced my computer with another and have not had any problems.

The problem might just be due the software that got installed on the "bad" computer. A clean installation might fix it.

A large part of the problem was my usb wireless adapter. I'll keep the old machine for a backup, but everything seems to be running good now. THANKS CNCZONE!