586,516 active members*
3,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bosch 1617EVS

Well I was looking at the BOsch Palm router (Colt) for my machine, but I am doubting if 1HP will suffice for my needs. I just think that for a little extra $, I will be much happier. I fear that I will not be able to use a large enough endmill to take off enough material fast enough as I want.
    So my sights have been redirected toward the Bosch 1617EVS, this is 2.25HP variable speed. 2.25HP seems a lot more like what I want. I may not always need 2.25HP, but I want to have it just incase the day does come.

So what are peoples experiences/comments with this?

I'm leaning strongly toword the Hitachi M12VC. Can't find a single negative on this router.
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

Oh wow, that looks like a fantastic router. i am looking for reviews now...
    The price is right for sure!

Do a search on CNCZone for M12VC and read the reviews/posts. I'm using one, so is Joe2000che, WarrenW, LionClaw, & CarlnPA. Probably others too. Fantastic router for $114.00. It has a nice straight body for mounting in a bracket after removing the base.

HayTay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M12VC_1.JPG   M12VC_2.JPG   M12VC_3.JPG   M12VC_4.JPG  

HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

I have the Bosch Router. In fact, I have 2. I have one mounted in my router table. The other I use free hand with a fixed base and a plunge base. I love the fact that it has the dual collet for 1/4 and 1/2" bits.

Dale

Stick with this size, you will appreaciate it. I have a factory rebuilt 1617EVS and find it a very professional, quiet machine (They were having trouble with the on/off switch which they fixed). There were a bunch of the rebuilts available a few months back for around $120, they seem to have jumped to $160. Like here. One complaint I have with the Bosch is the fan blows down, and if you don't have a vaccum skirt around the bit, a lot of dust will be airborne.

This Hitachi does seem like a good bang per buck.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay
    Do a search on CNCZone for M12VC and read the reviews/posts. I'm using one, so is Joe2000che, WarrenW, LionClaw, & CarlnPA. Probably others too. Fantastic router for $114.00. It has a nice straight body for mounting in a bracket after removing the base.

HayTay
    The router works great for me. BTW i like the mounting brackets

Joe

Wouldn't the fan blowing down be a good thing? If it didn't it would suck crap up from the cut to the inside of the router? I think they all blow down. It's why you should set your dust collection port on the side rather than the bottom of a stationary router table. Sucking from the bottom tends to negate air flow through the router. I burned up one several months ago and I'm sure this was the reason. Lucky it was still in warranty. Which is another plus of the Hitachi....5 year warranty.
    Steve

Ugh, I have to say, they both seem to have some positive reviews. I was looking at the refurb Bosch on ebay as well, so they are both about the same price. The best price I've found on the Hitachi is 128 dollars.
    The 5 year warranty is nice though...
    What about noise? Anybody know which is quieter?

I just saw the refurb Bosch on Amazon for $125. Always hard to recommend something, incase you are disappointed.

Yes I agree that blowing down is preferred to sucking up. It just seems like the Bosch blows down quite aggressively. I’m just throwing out some observations. The magnesium base, collet, and bearings seem top notch. (And I love those wood handles that you will only use if you use the router on its base.)

Steve

I've got 2 of the 1617EVS. They hold up well and they're quiet, especially if you are running at less than full speed.

Lowes is showing the Hitachi at $114.00 and with a 5 year warrantee I think I might try one of these myself. They say on the specs that it runs at 79dB which is fairly quiet. I like the built in variable speed control also that maintains constant RPM even under changing loads.

Now did they measure that amount of noise with a cutter cutting wood at full speed or the lowest speed no cutting I don't know. Does look like what I will go with though. Just got my 70" X axis rails on ebay so now I have all 3 axis's parts and can finally start to design the router itself.

The single speed has the same noise rating, so the 79dB is full on and I'm sure no load.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman
    I like the built in variable speed control also that maintains constant RPM even under changing loads.
    From my experience with handheld routers, they try to maintain speed, but they don't change speeds fast enough, and end up speeding up and slowing down a lot. On longer cuts it works well, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman
    Now did they measure that amount of noise with a cutter cutting wood at full speed or the lowest speed no cutting I don't know.
    Most likely with no cutter. Certain bits used with certain woods will make more noise than the router itself.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Just came back (up) from the shop. Two more things that I remembered that I like about Bosch: It has a real 1/4" inch collet (not a collet adapter for a 1/2" inch collet) and separate 1/2" inch collet. I have gotten 1/4" bits stuck in the collet adapter of my large Ryobi table mounted router. This is not a big one at all, but keeps the frustration level down. It also has a plunge base and a D-handle base that you can buy as an accessory if you need one.

(Someday I will buy a PC router and see how the other half lives.)

Just thinking,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by spalm
    (Someday I will buy a PC router and see how the other half lives.)
    I might have bought a Bosch or Makita, but I already had 3 Porter Cables and a bunch of collets to go with them. Porter Cables come with 1/4" and 1/2" collets, and I also bought a 3/8" collet. And since all their routers use the same collets, I always have some close at hand.

Bosch makes very good tools, though. I own a Bosch jigsaw (there are none better) and an awesome 4x24 belt sander.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)