586,395 active members*
2,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Anyone here have a Craftsman/Atlas Lathe?

Anyone here have a Craftsman/Atlas Lathe?

Does anyone have a Craftsman/Atlas Lathe? How do you like it and what kind are things are you making with it?

I have had one for about 30 years. Have most of the attachments minus the taper jig. I use it often making parts for my model aircraft and other items mostly in aluminium. I have turned steel but only light cuts as it will bog down or snap something. Mine is powered with a 1/2hp motor which is not overpowering so nothing gets broke. Just recently purchased some 1/2 nuts and a couple of carriage gears which is not bad for the amount of time I have had it.
    There is a group at Yahoo with a lot of info if you are having problem's or if I can help let me know.
    John

Thanx Vulcom, I was at a local surplus place and they had about 6 pallets of lathe parts and I seen what resembled a Craftsman Lathe however I got to go back and see if they have everything that makes up the lathe. I,m debating if I should get it and I,m just seeing what peoples opinions are on them. Whats the biggest part you,ve been able to turn?

I don't have an Atlas/Craftsman lathe but I do have a 1934 vintage Logan 10"x24" lathe with a 1/4 hp 3-phase motor. I bought it from a friend years ago who happens to own a machine shop for $100. He used to make aircraft parts on it for McDonell/Douglass. He had less problems with it than he did with his newer lathe made in Brazil. I got it because he needed the room for another press brake. After a few adjustments and cleaning I measured the spindle runout five times. Each time it came out to the same measurement, .00025". Not too bad for something that uses a leather belt for a drive belt. There is something to be said for the old machinery. I have turned cast iron, aluminum, stainless steel, brass, steel plastic and even berillium copper just to mention a few. The largest piece so far has been an 8-1/2" diameter by 14" long chunk of aluminum.

I would say if you can get it at a good price, get it. There are still parts around for it if any are needed.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

I have turned most of the stuff mentioned and up to about 9 1/2" diameter.
    My lathe is an Atlas TH54 and the TH means it has Timken bearings in the head. They are adjustable for run out and have only touched them twice. I use lots of oil. The longest piece I have turned was 3 1/2" steel 3/8" wall tube. This was for my EDM(sinker type) that will work on its own.
    This is a picture of the setup.
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edmpost.jpg  

Need to specify what size Atlas lathe. I had one of the 6" one when I was fresh out of college and it was a joke, Pot metal change gears, etc. Bent the shaft the 1st time I tried to turn brass. Tool dug in and shaft bent like a corkscrew!!!

Now have a 12" Atlas, don't have to worry about bending shafts but like a lot of vintage things wouldn't trust it for anything that needs percesion!!! Don't think it because it's an Atlas, think its the age.

Yeah I,m not sure if its the 6" or the 9" but I do remember the tooling was all big stuff, like the lathe cutters were all 1/2 x 1/2" , and the bed was about 3feet longI,m gonna check it out tomorrow..

Well it turned out its not a Craftsman Lathe its a Dunlop. I decided not to get it becuase it didn,t look like it had threading ability.

A local machine shop I frequent has an old Atlas 618 but it is in pretty rough shape. No change gears. Half nut won't engage the leadscrew properly. No chuck. No motor.