586,850 active members*
1,955 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > UG NX > First taste of UG

First taste of UG

I was shown a demo of UG at work last night. It is awesome! I really would like to start learning it. Is there a student version of this program?

Thanks!

FMJ

I do not think there is a student version available, but you would have to contact your local dealer. When I looked into it, they offer 2 different levels of products. The "Low End" product is called Solid Edge, and they price for solid modelling, drafting and 3+ axis CAM was over $10,000. We didn't even bother discussing the pricing of NX.

NX student edition and test drive

I have heard of student editions of NX but, like all student editions, they have strong limitations such as limited file abilities. If you want a test drive you may be able to get a temporary license from a reseller. It has been a while since we had to do software evals but perhaps you could get a temp license and a little hand holding from a local NX applications person to get you started. It is a vast program so you won't learn it all over night.

NX has many, many different license packages available depending on your needs. A long time ago when we first got on board when it was UG v10, the licensing was somewhat complicated but now there are different bundles which cost much less than the old licensing. For example a Mach3 bundle has great cad capabilities as well as 3-5 axis milling, turning and wedm. There are other packages that include such things as mold design, die design, trode design, circuit board design, mechanical and electrical routing, automotive design, ship design, sheet metal, aerospace sheet metal, motion simulation, thermal/stress/flow analysis and some others. There is also some more functionality with Team Center which is a whole other product that can extend capabilities.
    NX 10.0.3

You can get a free trial of NX here:
    Try NX CAM! Get Started with Hands-On Tutorials: Siemens PLM Software

You can get a trial license from your reseller.

Stedents can purchase the student edition.
    Mark Rief
    Siemens PLM

Students can get a $150/year student license, but it is very limited, the biggest impairment it has is that it doesn't come with the CAM license, so it's pretty much just 3D modelling software. It also doesn't have stuff like shape studio, simulation, and FEA that a full version of NX brings.

One way to play with NX more before you take the plunge is to find a local university that uses it and take a class with them. Community colleges would probably offer the best value.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
    Students can get a $150/year student license, but it is very limited, the biggest impairment it has is that it doesn't come with the CAM license, so it's pretty much just 3D modelling software.
    CAM is included beginning with NX 8.0.3
    Mark Rief
    Siemens PLM

How can translate the process manufacturing from UGS NX to Mach3