586,347 active members*
3,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > are "durable paint" and "minimal prep" oxymorons?

are "durable paint" and "minimal prep" oxymorons?

i just got a mini mill with typical wear and tear on the paint, both on the enclosure, and the mill. some spots on the mill have had the paint and the primer worn off so its just hard rust on the casting.

id like to repaint it for both cosmetics and protection as some of the nooks and crannies on the mill have paint actively peeling away, where coolant and chips collected over the years. its rusty and you can rub the paint off with a brush.

am i going to have to take the mill completely apart and go all the way with sandplasting and a baked on paint in order to get durability that will last, or is there some other option?

on a completely different mill, i made an enclosure from scratch and used the appliance paint from walmart...it wasnt terrible but its already peeling away where things touch the paint..id like a step up from that.

anyone find a way to really get nice durable strong long lasting paint without disassembling their machine? i dont mind sanding, primering, masking..but i dont want to start taking castings apart

Even the best paint will fail with bad prep, but using the wrong paint with the best prep isn't any better.

I have used por 15 a lot in the past, it's a single component brush on paint that when cured is impervious to pretty much everything but the sun and sandpaper, but it's only as good as the prep, and needs to be applied to degreased and treated bare metal, sandblasting isn't required, not is removing every last trace of rust. They sell small kits that would be perfect for coating a machine, and it includes the degreaser and metal etch solution. It can be used inside of a gas tank if that's any indication of it's chemical stability, and is a pain to sand after it's cured.

Just a thought, I haven't ever heard of it on here being used to coat a machine, but I think it would be perfect, and they have UV stable topcoats for it if your worried about sun exposure or discoloring over time.

Sent from tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
    Even the best paint will fail with bad prep, but using the wrong paint with the best prep isn't any better.

I have used por 15 a lot in the past, it's a single component brush on paint that when cured is impervious to pretty much everything but the sun and sandpaper, but it's only as good as the prep, and needs to be applied to degreased and treated bare metal, sandblasting isn't required, not is removing every last trace of rust. They sell small kits that would be perfect for coating a machine, and it includes the degreaser and metal etch solution. It can be used inside of a gas tank if that's any indication of it's chemical stability, and is a pain to sand after it's cured.

Just a thought, I haven't ever heard of it on here being used to coat a machine, but I think it would be perfect, and they have UV stable topcoats for it if your worried about sun exposure or discoloring over time.

Sent from tapatalk
    thanks..this sounds like exactly what im looking for. now i just need a way to get the rust off, especially in the little pocket at the bottom of the z axis..i have no idea how im going to do that..i guess i could try the rust removal chemicals and let them pool in there..not sure if thats safe or not though.

on the por 15 website it says it can be put directly on rusted surfaces wow..$32 a pint isnt bad, i bet one would do the whole mill..

i like how they show the repaint of a rusted battery tray without removing the rust..impressive..

question though, i wonder if i can use it just to touch up the spots that are rusty without painting the whole mill..hmmmmm

i think this stuff is worth a shot..it would be fun and interesting to hear other people talk about it ...anyone else?

I have painted over prepped paint with it and it did fine, you should be able to clean, treat and paint just the spots. A pint goes a looong way, and opening the can starts the curing process, better to get a six pack of the little cans if they still sell them that way.

Sent from tapatalk