587,006 active members*
3,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Beveled 1/8" endmills?

I'm looking for 1/8" carbide endmills with a bevel of 45 degrees, but with a flat bottom. Basically I want to mill and be able to have a nice bevel in my material and use the same endmill to clean up the bottom.

I know that I've seen these somewhere, but I'm having a difficult time finding them now. Anybody know where I can get some of these?

Thanks!
    Mark

you may have a hard time find in 1/8 dia. as for small carbide I use micro 100 here a link
    http://www.micro100.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    you may have a hard time find in 1/8 dia. as for small carbide I use micro 100 here a link
    http://www.micro100.com/

Hmmm... Well, I could go a little larger, if I have to, but I'm cutting some small, tiny, itsy-bitsy molds...
    I could deal with metric, like maybe 4mm wouldn't be too bad...

Mark

You could take an engraving bit like from micro 100 or harvey tool and take the tip off a little. I believe they might also sell these as tipped off engraving bits, typically with a .010" flat on the point. Other than that I think you might have to make your own out of a 90 deg drill mill.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JPMach
    You could take an engraving bit like from micro 100 or harvey tool and take the tip off a little. I believe they might also sell these as tipped off engraving bits, typically with a .010" flat on the point. Other than that I think you might have to make your own out of a 90 deg drill mill.

JP

I don't even know how to begin making my own

These cutters are so small that I just don't know how to trim them accurately. A grinder just wouldn't do and I don't have a fancy sharpener - just a Delta wet sharpener that I use to sharpen my lathe tooling.

Drat....

Mark

How about using a corner radius cutter?
    I understand where you are going with your desire for bevel, but you actually have 2 points per flute as a high wear/chipping point (every point).
    This is why I tend to use corner rad cutters where I can, the life expectancy is very improved.
    Check out UltraTool's 320RAD or 330RAD cutters - 1/8 is available on 15, 20, 30 & 45 thou rads.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca