Hey,

I'm setting up a new Haas Office Mill (OM-2A), and I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around tool height offsets. I'm using an electronic edge finder to set G54, and basically the only way I've been able to get the Z value set properly is either by offsetting G54-Z by +4.6222" (the machine position when the edge finder is touching the table), which requires action every time G54 is set, or by offsetting all tool heights by the same amount, which only requires action when tool heights are set, but requires a lot of work if I have to change to a new edge finder or probe.

I want to be able to use a 3D taster in addition to the electronic edge finder, so condensing this all into one setting would be ideal, but I also want to avoid having to set something every time I set G54, because that is known to lead to human error which causes machine crashes. The solution I've finally found is to set a Z-value for G52 (in HAAS mode for Setting 33), which automatically shifts my work offset to account for the edge finder. The only problem now is that I want to lock that value so it doesn't accidentally get changed by another user. This machine will be used by students and the reason I want two measuring systems is because electronic edge finders are cheap and less painful to accidentally bend while 3D tasters are very expensive and more painful to break.

Is there any sort of setting that would lock G52 when the machine is in Run mode? Does anyone have a better solution up their sleeve?

Carl