586,358 active members*
3,492 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Mass finishing equipment/media/strategies > Walnut shells or other blasting media?

Walnut shells or other blasting media?

Hi all,

I make a part out of 1/4 x 1 aluminum flat and I have been using "synthetic" steel wool to give the parts a shine, de-burr the edges, and take the factory-applied black printing off. Since this is sort of a slow dirty messy pain, I'd like to find a quicker way of getting it done.

Has anyone used walnut shells on aluminum? What kind of finish can I expect? Does it de-burr machined edges? It's a very light burr - nothing nasty. Will it take off the black factory markings?

Would a different media be better?

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

acetone will remove ink and if you what a good finish 180 grit paper will do edges will need to be filed of scrap to remove shrap edge and burr

Lakeside, thanks for the reply.

I'll try the acetone trick. I tried paint thinner (all I had on the shelf) and it did nothing to the ink. Next time I'm at Ace...

I used a fine-grit flapper sanding drum in my drill to clean up this run, but it took quite a while and left an un-even finish. It looks decent but not great.

I'm interested in the walnut shells mostly for the speed but also for a uniform finish and the good edge de-burr. Has anyone used walnut shells in this way?

Scott