586,471 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsix66 View Post
    Fire Stick: We're good. The Falls fire past right by us thanks to the DC10 that dropped orange goo on our community border. Got the Electrical in last week, need some drywall inspiration.
    Glad to hear the fire bypassed you. I see that DC10 landing or taking off at Norton every time I go up the hill nowadays. BTW Ortega hwy is one of my favorite routes to the coast through the IE badlands.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    If they need it in 3 days, bust your ass and get it done. Make their parts,......

Steve
    LOL

Phil

Re: Orange County, CA user group

Sorry to bring this up from the dead. I ready to join the club. Placed my Tormach order this week and will hopefully be ruining metal by new years day

And thanks Brian, I took your advice on the compressor location.

This thread isn't dead since we still live here =)

What city are you in? Irony is I'm debating selling my 1100 and you just bought yours!

The only thing holding me back is parts that require the PDB for mill turning. I ran them by the thousand and a lathe would take MUCH longer.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Nearest post office is Lake Elsinore but I live in the Cleveland National Forest off of Ortega HWY....middle of nowhere. I dont have any ambitions to make money with this thing, just want to learn and create some cool bits, maybe one day I can retire and relax like Steve.

Nearest post office is Lake Elsinore but I live in the Cleveland National Forest off of Ortega HWY....middle of nowhere. I dont have any ambitions to make money with this thing, just want to learn and create some cool bits, maybe one day I can retire and relax like Steve.
    Are you the guy who came to my house in San Clemente on a Saturday when you first started looking at a machine?

If you are, don't hesitate to call if I can help. If you're not the same guy, don't hesitate to call. I'm here to help.

I have moved since then.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Flat Six,

Where are you in Orange County? I'm in Fullerton, I've had my 1100 for two years now.

Hi Steve, yes I am, thanks for spending a few hours with me. That visit was the turning point, I was impressed with the precision of the assemblies you were making. I will surely will have many dumb questions and will soon where out my welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    Flat Six,

Where are you in Orange County? I'm in Fullerton, I've had my 1100 for two years now.
    Hi there neighbor! What do you use your machine for? Job shop, production or hobby?

For the moment its just a hobby. I bought it two years ago knowing that after I retired I wouldn't be able to afford one. Fortunately I had a lot of tooling from my Lagun mill, but my 6" Kurt was too big so I had to get an oriental vise, (Wilton), which serves well. Also, I had to have a new subpanel installed and a 7 hp RPC to power my lathe. Anyway, I plan to retire in Q1, 2015 and I'll try to make a few extra dollars with the mill. Are you near Fullerton? I'm at Bastanchury & Harbor, NW from St. Judes,

I'm in Anaheim at Kraemer and Orangethorpe. Pretty close. I was over by anaheim high till I got my shop

Brian
    WOT Designs

Brian,

Not too far. We sometimes shop at WalMart by Kraemer at Imperial. Right now I'm only in my shop, (almost half a garage), on Mondays, my day off. After I retire, I'll likely be there much more often. When I cash out my department savings I'll buy some software and finally have time to learn it. For now, its manual coding. It works and I always have a complete understanding of what's going on. That's something of a plus.

It's a big plus indeed! I use CAM since I started out having it as a trade for programming for a friend. Through frustration and learning to create macros and troubleshooting CAM output I learned to program via finger but 90% of the time I still CAM then massage the output.

I asked because I have a single part that I make that has me keeping the Tormach sitting unused 95% of the time. I keep thinking if I could have someone with a Tormach run them, or even rent me time so my employee could run them then I could sell it and make great and seemingly impossible progress for company.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Hi Steve, yes I am, thanks for spending a few hours with me. That visit was the turning point, I was impressed with the precision of the assemblies you were making. I will surely will have many dumb questions and will soon where out my welcome.
    There are no such things as dumb questions. Only dumb answers.

When you get ready, give me a shout and I'll help you get it set up and making parts.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Brian,

Email me at [email protected] or text me at 714-292-7987,

John

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    I'm in Anaheim at Kraemer and Orangethorpe. Pretty close. I was over by anaheim high till I got my shop

Brian
    WOT Designs
    Brian ... Sent you a private email ...

Pat H

Pretty funny that I've been on this forum for years and finally got to meet the second and third members in person on back to back days =)

Good talking with both of you John & Pat. Sorry I didn't have more time today Pat, but I finally did get all those prototypes done and on the road at 2pm. Another 2 hours till Phoenix!

Brian
    WOT Designs

Brian,

Thanks for seeing me ... Glad to hear that you finished the prototypes.
    Any luck in finding those tooling marks?

Have a safe trip back.

Later

Pat H.

Yep. They were from the deburring tool I used after facing the carrier off so I could probe the part. Weird angle to use that tool.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Sorry to bring this up from the dead. I ready to join the club. Placed my Tormach order this week and will hopefully be ruining metal by new years day

And thanks Brian, I took your advice on the compressor location.
    The freight arrived Saturday and I have been spending every waking minute since getting things setup. The ATC and enclosure took considerable time to get all sorted but everything seems to be working now and checked out. I actually ran the Myfirstpart program successfully on a piece of wood. So Jan 1 2015 I'm no longer a wanna-bee! Looking forward to learning and progressing into 1st grade

Page 2 of 3 123