586,410 active members*
3,368 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > ATC for RF45 Type machines with TTS Tooling
Page 2 of 5 1234
    No worries, I just hope you didn't get the crazy looks or comments like I did in Walmart I still haven't put mine on. I've been lazy, well not really, just busy do lots of other things!

Richard

Nice Looking build!

I am hoping that you will post the drawings and your tool change code - so that the rest of us can benefit from your work.

Sure is looking nice, so far !!

I have a round column mill-drill with an R8 collet system - that might have to be the next victim of my CNC addiction... an ATC would be just the ticket. (( You can never have too much CNC in your shop, can you? ))
    www.CNC-Joe.com
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

VertCNC,

- What are the dimensions of the round baking pan?

- I was able to find a Wilton Decorator Preferred 14 x3 Inch Aluminum Round Cake Pan for $22.98 USD on [url=http://www.Amazon.com]Amazon.com:
    - I was also able to find 16 x 3, 18 x 3, and 20 x 3.. in various brands.... the most expensive being $32.40 USD

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Joe
    www.CNC-Joe.com

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Joe View Post
    VertCNC,

- What are the dimensions of the round baking pan?

- I was able to find a Wilton Decorator Preferred 14 x3 Inch Aluminum Round Cake Pan for $22.98 USD on [url=http://www.Amazon.com]Amazon.com:
    - I was also able to find 16 x 3, 18 x 3, and 20 x 3.. in various brands.... the most expensive being $32.40 USD

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Joe
    It's 15 x 3. But I am not 100% sure it is the perfect size. It may be a little small for some tools, boring head, drill chucks and such. It will also depend on the length of the forks, and diameter of the tool carousel itself. I haven't fully tested it yet as I am building up a second MTW mill at the moment.
    Time will tell

Guys;
    Could this not be made with the plastics (lexans) available at the big box store? Seem to me it would be advantageous to be able to see the tools in the carousel! Anyway, that's what I'm planning when I can finally find time and finish my power draw bar! Vercnc, what software/interface are you using to drive you changer?
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Sure some type of plastic material could be used. You would just have to be careful with coolants, lubrication and solvents that they don't attack or in the case of clear, discolor the plastic.
    As far as software. I am currently using mach 3 and am planning on controlling via macro. I aslo have been messing with an Arduino to off load some of the tasks. I am currently adding CNC to a MTW benchtop and not sure I will use Mach or test out one of the other controls, such as LunixCnc, GSK, or others.

Hey VertCNC - how are you progressing? What are you planning on using to handle the additional I/O ?
    www.CNC-Joe.com

VertCNC - where did you get your Gear Reduction from (Post #4) and what is the gear reduction that it has?
    www.CNC-Joe.com

Joe,
    Progress has slow some while I complete the conversion of my second benchtop a MTW Md001. But I have completed the linear slide, pneumatic cylinder and brackets. Just haven't had time to put together pictures. Not sure on I/O yet, leaning toward kflop or CSMIO. The gear reduction is 10 to 1 and came from flea bay. They are ready available from most places that sell steppers including Automation Technologies.
    Stay tuned.

Vertcnc;
    How much research did you do for using the Arduino for control? I've been playing with one for a PDB control and most likely will look at it for ATC control when I get that far. I've been re-engineering my old RF45 and the going has been slow due to other priority projects (which always seem to get in the way of fun projects). I've not worked with Kflop or CSMIO but arduino seems at least doable. I don't have any C background but I had courses in Basic, Fortran and Cobal back in college many years ago!
    Thanks for posting and looking forward to seeing your ATC in action.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

An Arduino is more than capable of controlling a PDB and/or ATC. I use Arduinos for those functions, and more.

Regards,
    Ray L.

VertCNC - Wait a minute buster.... 2nd Benchtop MTW Md001 ?!?!?! No CNC-zone bloggage ????
    C'mon now.. don't be teasing us.... get some pics posted.
    www.CNC-Joe.com

Will Seriously look at Arduino, but its a little while out will I finish components.
    Joe, Yeah just thought there was enough posts on RF-45 conversions. I will post some pictures and drawings for the components.

Thanks Vert !!! - You can never have enough CNC conversion. You do nice work. Looking forward to your post. I have a round column mill in my garage (bought it before the SuperMax YCM-30) that is overdue for converting.... I'd love to do what Dave DeCaussin did to his round column mill... that Z axis is the real tricky part with that machine, though.
    www.CNC-Joe.com

An arduino nano for $7.50 from eBay can control atc + pdb and do heaps of in and out.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

I am sure Arduino is plenty capable. I have some experience programing them for various other monitoring and web server type projects. Just not sure on the communications back to the controller. Need bi-directional communication back to pc for tool selection, error reporting, maybe completed move signal. Any examples og code out there.

You can communicate to the PC over a virtual COM port or USB HID, using a Mach 3 plugin.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I will have to check on the Mach 3 plugin.
    Ray, I was check the Mach website and didn't see and Arduino plugin. I did see some reference to communication via Modbus, but not sure if that what your referring to. Could you point me in the right direction.
    Thanks

There is no generic plug-in that will do what you need. You'd have to write one yourself.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I didn't think there was a plugin for an Arduino for an ATC, but thought there maybe a plugin for communications with sometime of screen set in Mach3. I did see some others using Arduino with Mach3, will have to study further.

Page 2 of 5 1234