586,604 active members*
3,409 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport CNC Mill, Model R2E4, Boss 9 Control

Bridgeport CNC Mill, Model R2E4, Boss 9 Control

What am I getting into? Am trying to buy one of these. Understand machining but have always had someone else do maintence and programing. What will happen when I get it home? I believethis unit doesn't have steppers, is that correct? What about spindle what type of tooling? And last (at least for now)is this a machine that should be retro fitted to a better contoller? Cost and other issues with this? Any help would be great.

Sorry to be such a loser
    Randall

I had a R2E4. It has servo motors. It has a 2 HP vari speed mechanical drive just like the series 1 standard. Most likely has a quick change 30 spindle but a few were sold with the universal quick switch 200.
    Good machine but 20 years old now. Biggest enemy is heat. Not that user friendly as it needs a PC attached to it for easier editing and transfer of programs.
    Repairs/parts can be expensive. At some point you will weigh that decision and may retrofit it with a PC based control.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Any idea on the retro fit pc cost. Just a ball park. I think the retro would be how I would go. Heat?? Is this where someone (I think you) said sometyhing about a fan in the box? This machine will fit in mt shop, is close by, and the price seems about right.
    thanks for the info

Servo drives will depend on motor type and specs but somewhere in the region of $115 to $228 per axis.
    May be possible to use the power supply from your mill but if not then $200 should cover it.
    Breakout board between $50 and $150 depending on what you go for and what you want to control.
    Control software can vary from free to very expensive, can recommend Mach3 which will cost you $160
    Computer ?????? depends on control software as to what you will need.
    Then there can be all sorts of extras like wiring, MPG, switches etc which will depend on what you can salvage from your mill and what you want your control to be like.

Heres what it cost me to do my BOSS series1 (including cost of mill)
    My costs are:
    Series1 CNC = £400
    916oz/in steppers (x3) = £270
    Gecko G202 (x3)= £230
    PMDX 122 breakout board = £45
    Nemicon MPG = £45
    Limit switches (Industrial Hobbies optical)= £85
    power supply (could be salvaged from original controls) = £50
    Various bits and bobs (switches,wires, materials for brackets, etc) £200
    17inch Touch screen = £260
    Keyboard with touchpad =£40
    Computer = £150
    Mach3 software = £85
    Time = free
    Sold parts of the CNC that I didnt need and got £300 back
    total = £1500 = approx $2600
    Hood

Thanks Hood, The one I am looking at has servo motors so maybe I can get by a little cheaper but you did a fine job if that is all it cost you. I cant get the machine for $800.00 so I will have more at the start.

Thanks for the info

Randall

Mac controler

I'm a Mac man and I'm going to have a spare Mac (400MH G3) next week. Has anyone used a Mac for a cnc control? I am new to this board and to cnc as you may have gathred from my other posts. I have never owned a PC (but have used some in the past) so am fairly fluent in the Mac world and would like to stay there if posible. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but again I am a newcomer to the cnc world.