586,129 active members*
2,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Humming noise coming out of power box on back of series 2 BP

Humming noise coming out of power box on back of series 2 BP

Well i got my sparky to come out and wire up my Bridgeport series 2 only problem was he didn't know how to program the inverter i have read the manual and its still being trouble

i started the inverter and tried to power on my BP series 2 and it made a humming noise coming out of the coils (think its coils unsure)

and would give slightly different humming if i changed the machine from forward to reverse

if anyone can figure on whats causing this hum or how to fix it it would b much appreciated.

I had a problem with one of my machines humming once.
    I asked an engineer what to do about it, and he said he would install some lyrics.
    He did that, and it sings all day now.
    :-)

More seriously , when you mention inverter did you mean the spindle drive?
    Do you have a real 3 phase supply or are you using a converter to get 3P from a single phase supply?

if yo have a R2E3 or R2E4 then the hum or singing is normal. It comes from the chokes on the drives. You will not hear it ntil the drives are enabled. If you have a series 2 standard, you have a problem.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

its a series 2 standard and im running regular power to be converted to 3 phase through a eurotherm 650 series inverter

the mhum only occurs when i press the start button im guessing some of the setting in the inverter need changing

the spindle isn't running at all which has me worried anyone had this problem before?

so was talking to a friend and he said it could be still only getting single phase through to it think im going to be on the market for a vfd or 3 phase converter of some description

any idea which way to go on this hear a few people recommended Hitachi

Your Eurotherm 650 Series IS a VFD! It is almost surely not working because you don't have it configured correctly or you don't know how to use it.

I would suggest finding a "sparky" who knows how to setup a VFD. An industrial or HVAC guy would probably be more likely to know what they are doing than a residential/commercial guy who just wires lights and outlets everyday.

Matt

Do you have the 2hp model? Above this they accept 3 phase input.
    Also some, if 1 ph, the input has to be on the correct pair R, S or T.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Do you have the 2hp model? Above this they accept 3 phase input.
    Also some, if 1 ph, the input has to be on the correct pair R, S or T.
    Al.
    Wouldn't the inverter show some type of fault if this were the case? I am betting the inverter is set to 0Hz, the current limit is set way too low, the control source
    is set to something unused (analog input?) or something similar.

Matt

well i managed to find an instruction manual online for my VFD, sparky I have didn't know how to program it but he was nice enough to clear a few things up on what to program and where so in the next few days when i get back to the shop i will hopefully have my machine in operation

AL_The_Man
    the machine is the 4hp head version not the BP series 2 Special

Matt
    the bloke i have is an industrial electrician just didn't have the correct manual

I'll write back with an update once I program the VFD and hopefully be in business

well after mucking around a bunch with trying plan A it is down to plan B

and plan B is spend a little bit of money getting three phase hooked up to the shed

should hopefully only cost 4 k

next objective after getting this machine plugged in and working is to install the Z axis DRO which the previous owners apprentice damaged somehow

You should be able to get It running with a VFD or a rotary phase converter either way a lot less than 4K.

I have just got my R2E3 2HP spindle drive running on a VFD. Here is what I used its cheap and chinese. HIGH QUALITY 3HP 2.2KW 10A 220-250V VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD NEW n2 | eBay Works great (but for how long????) Ive only had it in for 3 or four days.

The most likley issue is that you have not changed the motor from star to delta to run on the lower voltage 3 phase on the output side of the VFD. That said none of the Eurotherm 650 series that I can see have the current for a 4HP with a single phase input. 4HP = roughly 3kW.

This one on ebay says it can do 3kw from single phase. Brand New 3.0KW 4HP 13A VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD | eBay

What you may be missing is that the 3 phase will be at the same voltage as the input, they dont step up the voltage. So if the unit came form a place with a real 3ph supply your motor is wired up as star for the higher voltage. it needs to be wired delta. If it is anything similar to my BP the motor has a diagram on the name plate details with something like lo-volts written next to it. that is how it should be wired.

Also check the amps corresponding to your input voltage (again on the name plate) then check that your VFD can supply those otherwise you might fry the VFD.

Here is a link to a pic of my name plate details,Bridgeport R2E3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! it wont be the same but you should be able to get the gist of what I am talking about here.#

Alastair

Hello all i managed to get the table on my mill working today after i got a new sparky to look at the problems im having

no more humming noise figured on what it was too it was the little black box in the power box on the back not engaging because not enough power was getting to them

so i am moving the z axis up and down no problem
    y axis moved no problem other than having to hold onto the control lever to keep it moving

and onto the X axis which wouldn't move at all didn't matter what way i turned the handle after a while i started to notice that the shaft coming from the motor that drives the feed for the x axis is busted and i need to find a replacement

does anyone know where to get another one of these input shafts or will it be a case of weld and lathe job

cheers