586,540 active members*
2,780 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 had intermittent fault problem, now it no longer powers up at all

G540 had intermittent fault problem, now it no longer powers up at all

I have been having trouble with intermittent fault lights for several months. I have talked to support several times about this. They told me it was most likely the PS. I had mine tested and it came back as fine. The problem continued so I purchased another PS. No change. I re wired all of my motors and double checked all connections for cleanliness, I changed 1 motor(because I only had 1 spare). I have tried the new motor on all 3 axis with the same problems. Sometimes it faults on x, sometimes y, sometimes z. Some days I could run 30 programs with no fault. Other days it would fault before moving any of the axis' and will fault 30 times during one small program(always at different lines of code). I have now also replaced the parallel cable with no change.

Today, I went out to the shop, turned the machine on, got a fault light, turned it off, waited about 20 minutes, turned it back on, green light, Went to run a program a few minutes later and noticed the reset light blinking in Mach 3. Went to the drive box and now there are no lights at all. I have tested everything I know how to test. The PS is putting out 48.3 volts, I have 48.3v at the terminals of the g540 as well but no lights and nothing works.

If anyone has an idea of what is happening with this thing, Please let me know. All along gecko support has been very nice but keeps putting it off as a problem with anything but the g540. I have replaced nearly everything else that I can and still had the same intermittent fault problem. I may be mistaken, but I feel like the g540 has been the source of the problem all along. I know they are supposedly bulletproof and I have been very happy with it till recently but right now my carved sign business is shut down because of this and I just want my machine up and running again ASAP. I have orders to fill.

I have tried to start it up several more times today and have no lights at all. Thanks for looking, Jeff

UPDATE!!
    I fount the test Mariss posted about testing the motherboard and drivers separately. I have a bad motherboard I guess. I unplugged the MB and hooked up the PS and Parallel cable, powered it up and got a red LED. Is this repairable? Does Gecko sell just the MB?