586,798 active members*
3,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 25 91011121321

Re: X61500GT - New CNC-Carving Router

First thing I did before even starting it up was change it out for some 5.5mm I.D. x 8mm O.D. Polyurethane tubing. Perfect stuff, no kinking or pinching.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeflyboy View Post
    First thing I did before even starting it up was change it out for some 5.5mm I.D. x 8mm O.D. Polyurethane tubing. Perfect stuff, no kinking or pinching.
    Do you have a source?

Probably not very useful for you - I got it from hoseworld in the uk.

It's very common stuff though, it'll be easy to find with a quick google search online

Quote Originally Posted by zeeflyboy View Post
    Probably not very useful for you - I got it from hoseworld in the uk.

It's very common stuff though, it'll be easy to find with a quick google search online
    Thanks! Ended up getting it from newegg... Didnt expect to find it there? Maybe they use it for CPU liquid cooling too?

Hi all.

I'm almost to buy this router with the 4th axis too. But I would like to ask you a couple of questions:

1) can the pieces be done with this router? I own a laser cutter/engraver, so I'll cut this piece with it:

Attachment 237194

Then I want to make some holes on the back side of it with the router:

Attachment 237196

What would be the workflow to make this job? All the jobs that I've seen include cutting the contour, but the contour I have has been already cut by the laser engraver.

2) Which software can be used to build knobs like this using the 4th axis?

Attachment 237198

Thanks in advance.

Manolo. Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by manolohpm View Post
    Hi all.

I'm almost to buy this router with the 4th axis too. But I would like to ask you a couple of questions:

1) can the pieces be done with this router? I own a laser cutter/engraver, so I'll cut this piece with it:

Attachment 237194

Then I want to make some holes on the back side of it with the router:

Attachment 237196

What would be the workflow to make this job? All the jobs that I've seen include cutting the contour, but the contour I have has been already cut by the laser engraver.

2) Which software can be used to build knobs like this using the 4th axis?

Attachment 237198

Thanks in advance.

Manolo. Spain.

Ahh!!! A simpit guy! I like you already!

Yes you can do the backside of panels.

Set up your work piece and zero everything. Then Pocket mill all of your cuts. Simple as that. Seems complicated at first but its not.

Google Sketchup will enable you to model the knobs. You can then export as STL.

I have meshcam and it's supposed to do 4 axis but I have yet to try it.

Desktop proto is supposed to be good as well.

My 2c:

To do the milling I would make a CAD model which doesn't have any of the cutouts which the laser cutter will do, just the pockets, then your CAM software knows exactly what you are expecting it to cut.

If that is inconvenient, then I would use the full model, but restrict the Z depth to the bottom of the pockets when generating the tool paths.

I'd also restrict the region to be machined to avoid the outside edges of the laser cut piece.

Tom

Hi Stevos.

Yes, a simpit builder ha ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevos758 View Post
    Ahh!!! A simpit guy! I like you already!

Yes you can do the backside of panels.

Set up your work piece and zero everything. Then Pocket mill all of your cuts. Simple as that. Seems complicated at first but its not.
    I'm playing with cut3d demo and have no idea where to set this.

Google Sketchup will enable you to model the knobs. You can then export as STL.
    I use Catia instead.

I have meshcam and it's supposed to do 4 axis but I have yet to try it.

Desktop proto is supposed to be good as well.
    Thank you. Manolo.

Hi Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by tgdavies View Post
    My 2c:

To do the milling I would make a CAD model which doesn't have any of the cutouts which the laser cutter will do, just the pockets, then your CAM software knows exactly what you are expecting it to cut.
    I don't understand. One model with only the contour cut by laser machine, and then another one with only the holes? I think I can't do the second one. Holes needs material around.

If that is inconvenient, then I would use the full model, but restrict the Z depth to the bottom of the pockets when generating the tool paths.
    But this would mill also the contour until that Z depth?

I'd also restrict the region to be machined to avoid the outside edges of the laser cut piece.
    And where can I do this with Cut3D for example?

Thank you. Manolo.

I haven't used cut 3D. Not sure how it works.

I was referring to cut 2D.

I'll download the demo of cut 3d and check it out.

Re: Shipping Question .. Update

Quote Originally Posted by jyotti View Post
    Hey All .. someone asked what shipping expense was .. $405.50 to northern California. Ordered today with the 4th axis option and the 110-120 vac option.
    Just an update for US customers. Machine was purchased last August .. took six days to arrive. Shipping was just added to my order, as is common practice. So about a month ago I get a "Notice of Intent" collection notice with Fedex as the claimant. So I'm scratchin' mah head wondering what the hay is this all about? So I call them up, and lo and behold they charged My Fedex account for a supposed deficit under the category of "Tariffs and Duties", and waited 8 months to get around to let me know. So if you have a Fedex Account, I suggest you don't ignore such a request that came "out of the blue". The amount was $22.70 which seems reasonable I guess, but what a surprise.

I intend to post controller mods for the (incredibly loud full-time On) fan with a 12vdc thermally controlled version, RJ-45 for 6 NPN proximity switches, and an 8 pin mic connector for the Aux Outputs. In case I forget to mention it later, the controller case is made out of some dang hard aluminium .. which turned out to be steel .. the RJ-45 breakout will require you to take the existing upper 0.600" diameter hole and bring it out to 0.615" by 0.615" square. That explains why I had to really cowboy my little hand-powered nibbler. D'oh :-)

The fan 19dB(A) at 28cfm SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- SUSCOOL81
    12vdc DC DC HRD Converter 24V 36V 48V Step Down to 12V 3A Power Module Switching | eBay x1
    RJ-45 RJ 45 Breakout Board Ethernet ISDN CAT5 Adapter RJ 45 | eBay x2
    8-pin 8 Pin Male Chassis Mount Mic Microphone Connector Kenwood Icom Yaesu Alinco | eBay x2

Exactly. Cut2D is what I need. Thank you!!

I'm testing the trial version and is perfect for me.

I haven't used cut 3D. Not sure how it works.

I was referring to cut 2D.

I'll download the demo of cut 3d and check it out.

I am getting a little more advanced and found I need to shim my spindle.

Any tips? It seems the top is further forward then the bottom causing an uneven cut.

I did a quick and dirty "tram" of my spindle by fixing a long allen key in the chuck and then rotating it around my spoil board to see where it touched. I then loosened off the 4 bolts holding the spindle and shimmed to correct the Y-axis tilt. I didn't have any shim stock, so I just used bits of paper

I was able to improve the X-axis tilt a little bit by holding the spindle to one side while I tightened up the bolts, as there's a tiny bit of clearance in the holes you can play with.

Quote Originally Posted by RussellK View Post
    I did a quick and dirty "tram" of my spindle by fixing a long allen key in the chuck and then rotating it around my spoil board to see where it touched. I then loosened off the 4 bolts holding the spindle and shimmed to correct the Y-axis tilt. I didn't have any shim stock, so I just used bits of paper

I was able to improve the X-axis tilt a little bit by holding the spindle to one side while I tightened up the bolts, as there's a tiny bit of clearance in the holes you can play with.
    Nice! I ll give it a try. Thanks!

I have a new problem. My hard drive failed so I had to redo everything.

#1 Now my spindle turns the right direction but the mach 3 control is backwards. When I select 24000 rpm in mach it runs 5000 and when I pick 0 it runs max speeed.

#2 is there a file I can backup to save all of these settings so I don't have to set everything else up next time?

#1 Now my spindle turns the right direction but the mach 3 control is backwards. When I select 24000 rpm in mach it runs 5000 and when I pick 0 it runs max speeed.

#2 is there a file I can backup to save all of these settings so I don't have to set everything else up next time?
    Best way would be to clone the hard drive to a fresh one every so often. I use macrium reflect free, works great. If the hard drive fails, pop the backup in and turn the computer on and your back to normal

Hi all.

Well, I ordered my X6 last May 22nd and today I have received it. Very well packed. Cabling inside the box very well done (not like my XYZ Laser engraver...)

I have a lot of things to learn now. And a lot of try and decide.

I have just assembled main parts and check that x, y and z axis works fine. I want to change every cable with screened ones so I havent't tested anything else.

Ground not present at some points due to box coating. I'll have to add some earth cabling to x, y, z and spindle connectors...

Is the attached picture the correct set for x and y axis? If I don't reverse y, it goes down for positive movements...

And I want to install limit switches for home and maximum values, and a flow switch linked with spindle function. I have read the post with inductive limit switches but I will use mechanical ones instead. Is there any guide on how to install them step by step?

Thank you. Manolo.

I still haven't figured this out if anyone can shed some light.

Also wondering how the Spindle speed circuit is coming? I would really like to set something up so I know what speed I am running for aluminum.

I still haven't figured this out if anyone can shed some light.

Also wondering how the Spindle speed circuit is coming? I would really like to set something up so I know what speed I am running for aluminum.
    Umm.. yeah. Well the circuit was built ages ago but I've been very distracted by other projects and haven't even looked at the code yet. Am planning to get back on to it as I have some jobs coming up with the CNC so my attention will be back in that direction.

In terms of backing up there should be a .xml file which is named after your Mach3 profile, this contains all of your settings. You should also back up and screens, plugins and other bits you've added to the Mach3 directory.

Page 11 of 25 91011121321