586,437 active members*
4,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Avoiding the Tailstock / CNC slant bed w/Fanuc + mastercam

Avoiding the Tailstock / CNC slant bed w/Fanuc + mastercam

I'm on mastercam x4. I've got a setup where I need to use the tailstock. I drew the tailstock in mastercam, but mastercam doesn't understand that older (and maybe new too?) machines don't necessarily rapid exactly on the vector the software thinks they will. For example, if I set the machine to rapid at feed rate, it will reach the programmed X position way before it reaches the Z position.

The difference in feed rates on the x and z mean that the machine doesn't rapid like mastercam thinks it will and the turret will crash into the tailstock.

I did find in the stock setup page, a stock clearance setting in which the machine will rapid in to the X clearance value, then rapid down towards the work. This is perfect! However, it only works after the first toolpath. Why would it be any different for the first roughing cut? I know the settings are all the same since I copy/pasted the rough cut (different geometry I suppose) for the second rough path.

Anyone have any suggestions / experience with this?

The way I have it setup right now is to do a long lead-in/lead-out. The trouble is that the feedrate is ridiculously slow. It takes minutes to approach and leave the stock during the first rough path.

Ridiculous!!

It occurred to me while writing the question, that you can set the lead-in, lead-out feed rates independent of the toolpath feedrate. I tried this and it works fine. It's not totally ideal though, as you feed in very close, then it calls the revs/in feedrate control, and it has a tiny amount of time/space to accelerate the spindle and change feed rates. That hasn't caused noticeable problems yet, but it doesn't seem good.