586,127 active members*
3,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G-Code program simulation using solidcam

Hi,

I have no experience with any cad/cam software, I have problem and I am thinking of ways to overcome it. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I have a requirement to check if the NC program (5 Axis indexing or 3+2 Siemens G-Code) from a customer is good or not. Basically customer expects a certain level accuracy on the finished part. The program is a 3 axis simultaneous movement with 4th(A) and 5th(C) axis used for indexing. My question is, can I use SOLIDCAM to do a simulation of the G-Code program and then measure the final work piece using solid cam or solidworks cad features . My expectation is the Simulation should show me 0 errors on the profile to confirm the program is OK. I would then agree all the accuracy errors I get on my finished part is only from machine and cutting process, tool etc. Is such simulation possible using solidcam? OR what is the alternative.

I have made all possible mechanical accuracy checks on the machines and I am using the tools and cutting speed suggested by customer. My customer claims to achieve much better accuracy on an another machine with this program / setup and cutting speed. For reasons of confidentiality customer does not want to give me 3D model or agree to use my own program. My suspicion is that the program is altered to achieve the desired accuracy on a particular machine and hence my machine is unable to reproduce the same accuracy. I would like to check and prove this point using simulation, please guide me..

Thanks is advance for your help.

The short answer is "no" as all SolidCAM can check is CAM generated movement created within SolidCAM andthe finished code relies on how good your post processor is.

To overcome your problem you need something expensive like VeriCUT, and even then it will not be the definitive answer you are looking for.