587,030 active members*
3,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3d profiling in Solidcam

Hi,

I am familiar with 2.5d profiling. However I have a part in which I need to cut a 3d profile. Please see the image attached which shows the part I am struggling with. It would be helpful if someone could tell me the kind of operation that I should be using so that I can play around with it.

Thanks
    Jack

send me model than i will sort out for you

I cannot attach the files to my posts on this forum. However if it helps I can send the files by email. Alternatively, if you can post me in the direction of the right machining operation to use then that would be appreciated.

I can cut the stock using 2.5d profiling. However the tool then crashes with the stock and the fixtures. It seems that I need to tell Solidcam to follow a profile and cut down to a surface.

i think it would be better to re-design the fixture for better machining posibility :-)

i think it would be better to re-design the fixture for better machining possibility :-)

the stock could potentially make 2 parts instead of 1 :-)

JackWilliam, I would recommend one of the high speed machining operations or at a minimum 3D Milling. This should allow it to be roughed out and then finished. Normally the way I would make these is to rough it down flat to the highest surface and then rough it in steps to it's profile shape. You'll have to make sure the end mill doesn't hit the screw and that it is small enough to go between them. After that, get a ball mill and finish it with a stepover that gives you the scallop you want. Not sure how you're going to make those square edges. Good luck!

3D engraving is what I would do if changing the fixture is not an option. Create a "target" and choose the profile, done.

Could possibly use 3D contour

HSS is awesome for any 3D profile or surface. To follow a single edge, use projection, or morph btwn 2 edges on a surface. Hard to say for sure without the model.