586,321 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3 not following g-code

Hey guys,

I was hoping someone would be able to enlighten me.

I was running a program making a part for my mountain bike, it roughed the part out and did everything it is supposed to, only on the finishing cut the machine took off on the X and Y and cut right through my part. I checked the G-code and that is fine, it doesn't show the tool path incorrectly in the tool path box on the mach screen, only when I ran the part. I ran it 3 more times with different feeds to see if it would help but it went nuts every time.

It has not missed any steps as it continued to correctly machine the rest of the part. I am certain that the G-code is correct.

Is mach known for these issues?

Cheers,

-Glen

I am having the same problem. The g-code in the mach3 tool display is showing passes lining up with each other, but on separate passes I am getting a different dimension on one end of a raised slot. Then later in the code it drives the bit right though the end of one of the raised slots, cutting it off. The G-code again shows it as running outside of the end and through a previous line it had already followed. Gotta get this figured out!

It would be helpful to know what your specific hardware is. Mach 3 is a bit like Windows in that the software vendor is separate from the hardware vendors, so mileage may vary depending on the specifics of the hardware.

If the tool moves repeatably, then the problem would be in the interpretation of the code which is likely a configuration issue. If the errors are more random, then it may be caused by interference in the signal or any number of other wiring/hardware problems. Otherwise, I have not found Mach 3 itself to read code incorrectly. Any issue I've come across has been related to set up, such as absolute vs. incremental I JK or accidental changes to coordinate systems and metric/imperial due to post processor glitches in cam software.

First question. Are you "Hand writing" the G code or is it being post processed from another program? If it coming from another program, check that the post processor is giving the right "G" code. Mach 3 will only accept the G code thats listed under the "G-code" button on the first mach 3 screen. if it gets ones it doesn't like it can cause major problems. (Don't ask how I know HA)
    "If everyone is thinking alike somebody's not thinking!"
    HAAS TM-3P and a HAAS OM-2