586,308 active members*
3,385 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Lightbulb How do you clean your Tormach?

How do you clean your Tormach? - YouTube

Vacuum, Rag, Broom & Dustpan, or you just don't?

How do you get the chips out from under your mill, or in those hard to reach spots?

I needed to figure out something because I switch from Aluminum and Titanium alot, and can't contaminate my "batch" of chips since they are worth more when not mixed with other metals. Titanium scrap is $$$.

So what do you do? This works great for me, but I'm always open to other suggestions, I prefer the easiest and cleanest approach to most things.

-Brad

Hi Brad

That is how I do it. I have an extra nozzle I stick a piece of silicon hose on and wash it down.
    I also have a mini dustpan and brush that fits between the machine base and chip trays that works really well for collecting the washed down chips.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Hey Scott, I think the Silicon hose would be alot easier, I just had extra lengths of Loc-Line laying around so I used it, but using the coolant system has to be the easiest approach I can think of. I need to get a manifold attached so I can have multiple outlets on hand for use, Different Coolant Nozzles, a Cleaning Hose, etc. I have the valves, just no Distribution Block.

For my manifold I just added a short piece of alum. Threaded on the end and side for loc-line and the back to fit the stock pipe. I also treaded the bottom of the stock pipe for a ball valve with a stubby nozzle. This is where I stick the 1/4" Silicon hose . Without the hose it is still a pretty effective nozzle even from way up there.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

This is what I use, kind of a homemade "bib", keeps the chips on the table and not all over the machine, makes the cleanup much easier.
    I let them dry out overnight then vacuum the table the next day.
    98% of what I machine goes in the vise and the head clears the bib, if it hits it the magnets let go and nothing is damaged, just put it back in position.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0057 (1).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	184612
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Hey Scott, I think the Silicon hose would be alot easier, I just had extra lengths of Loc-Line laying around so I used it, but using the coolant system has to be the easiest approach I can think of. I need to get a manifold attached so I can have multiple outlets on hand for use, Different Coolant Nozzles, a Cleaning Hose, etc. I have the valves, just no Distribution Block.

A silicon hose works great. I use one on my mill with a regular garden nozzle ...

pete

Funny, I almost posted the same question this weekend. I do mostly aluminum, but have a production part that is delrin that I did on the X3 because it doesn't seem fun to try and get all the delrin out of the Tormach nooks and under the table.

I tried filling a 2 gallon bucket with coolant from the LocLine and realized (1) it only kind of helped get the chips moving and (2) I was only getting about 45 gph from my coolant system. Ouch. I have been forced to use air to clear my parts since they have deep slots and the Tormach flood did nothing for removing chips. I removed the cheap "LocLine" Tormach provided and installed real ones without the hose inside (after drilling out the center of theirs and it barely helped). That got the Tormach system up to 60 gph. Fail. I am going to add a seperate tank and a 2800 gph dirty water sump to get the pressure high enough to use a garden sprayer like pete has and try to figure out a way to set two seperate drain lines so that I can leave tapping fluid in the small tormach one and Kool Mist in the big tank.

Awesome ideas, the magnetic shield is a great addition too!

Quote Originally Posted by PriddyShiddy View Post
    Funny, I almost posted the same question this weekend. I do mostly aluminum, but have a production part that is delrin that I did on the X3 because it doesn't seem fun to try and get all the delrin out of the Tormach nooks and under the table.

I tried filling a 2 gallon bucket with coolant from the LocLine and realized (1) it only kind of helped get the chips moving and (2) I was only getting about 45 gph from my coolant system. Ouch. I have been forced to use air to clear my parts since they have deep slots and the Tormach flood did nothing for removing chips. I removed the cheap "LocLine" Tormach provided and installed real ones without the hose inside (after drilling out the center of theirs and it barely helped). That got the Tormach system up to 60 gph. Fail. I am going to add a seperate tank and a 2800 gph dirty water sump to get the pressure high enough to use a garden sprayer like pete has and try to figure out a way to set two seperate drain lines so that I can leave tapping fluid in the small tormach one and Kool Mist in the big tank.
    Be forewarned, once you increase your coolant flow capacity, you will most likely overwhelm the mill's ability to drain, and have coolant leaking all over the place. Check out this thread. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...m_upgrade.html

I just use a vacuum, but I don't have flood either. I use a fogbuster for all my coolant needs.

Wade

Sears Shop Vac - last about a year. If Sears sees it, they will not warranty - I don't even ask.

nitewatchman

Same way as I clean the bridgy, the lathe, and the surface grinder - with an old Dyson.
    Been doing sterling service for over 10 years now on all sorts of wet/dry/oily swarf and grinding dust.

Wow, that would be a good advertisment, that's like Al Bundy's car with a million miles.

I have been using a Rigid 12 Gallon wet/dry shop vac http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12...2#.UZPp0qLVB8E with a washable foam cover over the old paper filter frame for about 10 years. I would use a Dyson vac if Dyson made a wet/dry shop vac. I am not willing to use my Dyson DC 15 Ball vac http://www.amazon.com/Dyson-Floors-U...pr_product_top in the shop though :-(
    IMO Dyson is the absolute best vac there is. No filter to clog.

Don Clement

I also use a Ridgid shop vac

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by mike sr1 View Post
    This is what I use, kind of a homemade "bib", keeps the chips on the table and not all over the machine, makes the cleanup much easier.
    I let them dry out overnight then vacuum the table the next day.
    98% of what I machine goes in the vise and the head clears the bib, if it hits it the magnets let go and nothing is damaged, just put it back in position.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0057 (1).jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	184612
    I really like this idea. I almost didn't install my Tormach table enclosure since I was planning on fully enclosing it, but I'm glad I did. It keep most of the chips where it's easy to clean. This idea really adds to it. I also let my chips drain overnight, clean out the majority with a small dustpan and brush then vacuum. Cleans out almost all of it, and the chips don't clog my tank screen.

That reminds me, my coolant screen ended up pushing through, so I pulled the bucket out and fixed it up. I had some large mesh screen laying around to put under the thin screen.

Nice touch on the backup screen, looks good!

My screen had some holes in it from coolant or whatever so I replaced it with a stainless 40 mesh screen I found on Ebay, it was about 15 bucks to my door. It was a heavy duty variety as well.
    mike sr

Thanks to all for the great lessons here! I'm thinking about purchasing a Tormach 1100 by the end of the year and appreciate everyone's issues / workarounds.

You found the right place, and no matter how good something seems, it can always be improved.

Page 1 of 2 12