586,913 active members*
3,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Adding Probe to 1998 VF3

hi guys
    new to Haas machines......the machine i baught doesnt have the probe option and doesnt have macros.. it does have VQC..... is it still possible to add a probe to this thing

I'm pretty sure you can add the probe, but it will be expensive. As far as I know you will need the whole probe system of course and you will need scaling and macros which is not cheap either.

Believe me, you can get by without the probe and get other accessories like a good 4th axis and more tooling.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by rayje View Post
    hi guys
    new to Haas machines......the machine i baught doesnt have the probe option and doesnt have macros.. it does have VQC..... is it still possible to add a probe to this thing

You can add a probe to any machine but if you are looking to use the Visual Quick Code Probing(VQCP) cycles that are on machines newer than yours, then the answer is no.

VQCP requirements are for machines built after January 2000.

If you really want probes though, it will require seperate interface boxes for the spindle probe and one for the table tool setter. Then they will need to be tied into the machine using m-code relays and skip signal inputs. I have done this many times on machines prior to the VQCP systems. You can check with your local HFO to see if they can help you with this, but most likely you may need someone from Renishaw or a local Renishaw rep to help you figure out what you will need and help with the install.

It is doable, but like Machinit mentioned though, you will need additional machine options turned on not to mention the cost for hardware and labor to install. All of this can add up quickly and the whole package may be cost prohibitive.

Good luck!