586,781 active members*
3,124 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF3 Z axis 105 alarm

I started my VF3 after it had been idle 2 weeks. At home reset it kind of jerked as it returned to Z home and gave me a 105 alarm. Won't reset now. Any suggestions appreciated.

Why is it that people want to give us the alarm number and not the description? Like we have time to memorize all of them?
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Alarm 105 Z servo error too large

Too much load or speed on Z axis motor. The difference between the motor position and the commanded position has exceeded a parameter. The motor may also be stalled,disconnected or the driver failed. The servos will be turned off and a RESET must be done to restart. This alarm can be caused by problems with the driver,motor,or the slide being run into the mechanical stops.

Alarm 105 Z servo error too large

Too much load or speed on Z axis motor. The difference between the motor position and the commanded position has exceeded a parameter. The motor may also be stalled,disconnected or the driver failed. The servos will be turned off and a RESET must be done to restart. This alarm can be caused by problems with the driver,motor,or the slide being run into the mechanical stops.

Sounds like it overtraveled on the z axis due to a bad switch.

Use setting 53, Jog Without Zero Return, to jog the axis down towards the table.
    While jogging, use diagnostics page to watch and see if the z home switch changes from 1 to a 0.

If the switch does not change states then that is your culprit.

Good luck!

The Z home switch was at 0 and did not change. I tried to jog it down manually. 001" per click and keep getting "Z servo overload".
    This time it is "110 Z servo overload"
    Excessive load on Z axis motor. It suggests I have run into mechanical stops. But I was lowering the Z axis from a high point. Will have to get on top of the machine tomorrow and have a better look.
    Had thought of disconnecting servo motor from machine and trying to move it with no load to rule out motor issues. Any suggestions appreciated. Can't believe it would be something too serious. I live a two hour drive from dealer so I am looking at 4 hours to get them in the door.

Sounds like you found your problem. Replace your Z home switch.

Sounds like maybe your Z-axis brake is not disengaging. Make sure that Cable 310 is plugged into P47 on the I/O board. Also check the voltage from that connector on the I/O board. Should be 24 VDC. Hand jogging the Z Axis away from the hard stop should not give you a Servo Overload alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by wdomhart View Post
    Sounds like maybe your Z-axis brake is not disengaging. Make sure that Cable 310 is plugged into P47 on the I/O board. Also check the voltage from that connector on the I/O board. Should be 24 VDC. Hand jogging the Z Axis away from the hard stop should not give you a Servo Overload alarm.
    +1 as long as you are jogging Z in negative direction.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHow View Post
    The Z home switch was at 0 and did not change. I tried to jog it down manually. 001" per click and keep getting "Z servo overload".
    This time it is "110 Z servo overload"
    Excessive load on Z axis motor. It suggests I have run into mechanical stops. But I was lowering the Z axis from a high point. Will have to get on top of the machine tomorrow and have a better look.
    Had thought of disconnecting servo motor from machine and trying to move it with no load to rule out motor issues. Any suggestions appreciated. Can't believe it would be something too serious. I live a two hour drive from dealer so I am looking at 4 hours to get them in the door.
    DanHow, can you confirm if your machine has a brake motor or not? What year is your machine?

Been out of the shop due to family issues

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    +1 as long as you are jogging Z in negative direction.

DanHow, can you confirm if your machine has a brake motor or not? What year is your machine?
    My VF3 is a 1999 model. Brushless servos and a nitro counterbalance.The manual shows shows a servo brake in the electrical diagrams.
    I have yet to swap drives to see if that could be the problem.will attempt that tomorrow.