586,117 active members*
3,444 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Speed/Feed Question for Z

I am new to CNC and I have recently just switched from using SputCAM 8 to SolidCAM. In SolidCAM there is an entry for "Z Feed" that I have not heard of or come across until I started using SolidCAM.

I use GWizard to calculate my feeds and speeds. My question is, should I use the same feed rate for Z that I use for XY when simple milling? What about when I am cutting pockets with helical moves? Use the interpolation calculator for this in GWizard and put that value into Z?

Any advice on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Totalhack, the Z Feed is merely the feed rate that the machine completes ANY move in the Z at. This includes plunging, linear ramping, helical ramping, etc. That said, if you're plunging without a pilot hole absolutely do NOT do it at the XY feed rate. You WILL damage or break the tool unless your XY feed is very low. I spoke with Fizzissist and Shane123 on some of these matters and they usually drill some size pilot hole as relief for a helical (low-angle) feed or a plunge. I know iMachining actually allows you to designate a pre-drilled hole so that it can rapid move down into the hole. (assuming your end mill is smaller than the hole) I would recommend making a post in the General Metalworking thread or something more general with mention of Complex Entry Moves and Speeds and Feeds for said moves. Also, consider the rigidity and direction of cutting for the tool you are using. A drill cuts better in the Z than in the XY. An end mill does better in the XY than the Z because of a single center flute. (If it is center cutting at all!)

I hope I gave you something to think about.

KUWill, thank you for the response. I crossed my fingers and went ahead and just ran the part before you responded to my post. I used the interpolation calculator in GWizard to calculate my Z feed and using a new 2 flute carbide endmill in 6061 aluminum with a .250 pilot hole I was able to cut the pockets I needed like butter. In my particular situation I did happen to have a pilot hole before starting the pocket but I can honestly say that I did not know that I needed one. So I will definitely take the information you provided me and use it in the future. I will chalk this success up to luck, but I want to thank you for shedding some light on the subject for me.