586,449 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > 3d toolpath from curve created out of a surface

3d toolpath from curve created out of a surface

hello, everybody I was wandering if some one can help with problem?, I have a .25 radios fillet between two sets of surfaces at aprox 30 degrees(red surface) so I created curves out of the fillets surfaces, using only the top edge for my 3d contour tool path, now the problem is that although backplot looks ok (the tip of the tool doesn't appeared thru the fillet surface)on verify i can see the gouge(pic 1), and with auto dif of vericut the gouge is aprox..05" I already tried to machine with surface finish(with the same 1/2 ball end mill i used for the 3 d contour) but i get more errors, and I think i am closer to get it right with the 3 d contour, the gouge is only in the first radios the second is fine, can anyone please tell me what am I doing wrong? or point me to the right direction, any input welcome, thank you in advance .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-ISOVIEW-SURFACES.jpg   2FINISH 3D TOOLPATH WITH BALL END MILL R..25.jpg   detail of gouge aprox .05.jpg   detail of machined part vericut.jpg  

Ages since I've seen a Vericut page, but it is saying 0.005"gouge, not 50 thou, it may pass inspection now that it is a lot closer to tolerance.

- I'll ask the obvious.......you have checked the fillet size on each feature is R0.25" , right ?
    - aerospace parts ( it really looks like a stiffener with rivet holes ) have been known to mix it up

we are talking about the fillet ( between the wall and floor only )
    - is it when the tool rounds the external corner, or on the fillet of the internal corner radius ??

your 3D toolpath looks strange, the chain seems to be on the Z origin level, not where I'd expect a 3D chain

plus that operation is bound to have problems ( depending on which chain is selected )
    - tool will round the corner where the fillet join is meant to be sharp---- very easily overlooked
    - chain on floor may not run with same offset as chain on wall, ie wall may need to be swarfed ( 4/5 axis machine movement )

My suggestion, ( if wall is perpendicular to floor )
    -use 2D contour, use wireframe geometry from where the vertical wall & top of fillet meet. Depth is Floor level, Tool has radius ,same as fillet
    -break the toolpath up into 3 separate chains, the two ends, and the centre part ( physically extend the endpoints of the end arcs of the centre chain, so the toolpath can overlap with the passes done on the ends ), this forces the sharp corner on the fillets, & forces the tool to follow the wall.