586,655 active members*
2,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Gunsmithing > Gauging Interest in 80% Carbine Kits

Gauging Interest in 80% Carbine Kits

I'm in the process of designing & manufacturing a .45 caliber semi-auto carbine, and it occurred to me the other night that it would not be difficult at all to off this as an 80% kit instead of a finished rifle.

I'd only leave material that would be easy to remove with a milling machine, requiring no complex or heroic setups, exotic tools, etc. Probably do the bulk of it with a single 1/2" two flute endmill.

The bolt, extractor, ejector, barrel, and muzzle brake would be 100% finished, so you wouldn't need to know how to thread on a lathe (or even own a lathe) or chamber a barrel. All springs & hardware included. Magazines would be included too, so you don't have to mess around with them.

You'd have to pocket out the FCG area and the magwell in the receiver, cut the cross slots on the rails of the chassis (the chassis of the rifles will be an extrusion that bears the profile of a mil std mounting rail on four sides, but you'd need to cut cross slots wherever you want them), and drill the butt plate to accept whatever butt pad you want to use.

The majority of the carbine will be made from aluminum. All the parts you'd need to do machine work on would be aluminum. There is no wood. It uses standard AR15 FCG parts, an AR15 pistol grip, and M3 Grease Gun magazines.

I don't have a solid price range yet (not far enough along to put a number to it), so please post your personal opinions on price range when you reply. Say what the most you'd pay is, and then say what price you'd need to see before it would go from a "Maybe" purchase to a "Hell Yeah" purchase.

These are early days, I'm just trying to get a feel for whether this 80% kit idea is any good or not.

Thanks for your time guys, I appreciate your input.
    Ryan Shanks - Logic Industries LLC
    http://www.logic-industries.com

Of course. Who wouldn't want another option for building an 80%? Pricing is always a factor but depending on price, look, operations and ATF approval, I see it being possible.

Sent from my IPad so... Ease off the spelling

Nice post. I am interested, but really you will have a small market. With 80% rule will people only need a drill press? Like AR-15 partial built lower receivers to finish their product? The price will have to be low enough to be worth for people to take time and make the part 100%. Just my 2 cents.

You could remove the material by plunge cutting with an endmill in a drill press.

It'll just be islands of material that will have to be removed down flush with the surrounding area.

Any pics or drawings yet. I know u new to protect your design.

Aluminum, as in 7000 series or 6000 series ? If it is 7000 series, it might be interesting. Would you considered a 380 super version ?

6061 is more than strong enough for the receiver and much less trouble to machine than 7075, and cheaper to boot.

I'll post pics when I get the proof of concept prototype done.

Gonna do the pistol version first, just because it's fewer parts to build for the PoC. The action and receiver is the same, so if the pistol version runs, the carbine will too.

When you going to make your first one?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    6061 is more than strong enough for the receiver and much less trouble to machine than 7075, and cheaper to boot.

I'll post pics when I get the proof of concept prototype done.

Gonna do the pistol version first, just because it's fewer parts to build for the PoC. The action and receiver is the same, so if the pistol version runs, the carbine will too.

What is .45 caliber semi-auto carbine and any pics?

Attachment 184722

Here are some images and a video.

CNCadmin, questions I can't see how to from pages in the forum ie. brings me to last posting pages, but I can go to the first page of postings?

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin View Post
    What is .45 caliber semi-auto carbine and any pics?

Well, I started on it today, but my CNC gave me the big F-U shortly thereafter, so in a bit I suppose.

Admin, I don't understand your question exactly.

I have no idea who ThatOtherGuy is. He's not with me, and those are not pictures of what I'm working on (though they are examples of other pistol caliber carbines).

Pics and development discussion can be found here: Thread on Weapon's Guild Forum

I don't think you need to be a full blown member over there to read that thread, but you might. Their rules are somewhat convoluted, but they mean well.

Just don't want to have to type it out twice, and since it's a for-profit venture on my part, I don't want to crap-up your board with the whole play by play.

I just wanted to gauge interest amongst my target demographic (IE DIY firearm enthusiasts).

CoolHand,

I was just giving him a idea of what a Pistol Carbine is. But you are smart going the 80% rule for firearms. Once you make some I will purchase a proto-type and test from you

But aren't Pistol Carbines usually cheap? What would make it worth your while to create each piece and sell at a reasonable profit?

Is your Carbine version going to be unique? The general use of common magazines is a smart move.

I am just playing devils advocate.

6061 is definitely cheaper, but not easier to machine, and scratches easily. 7050 and 7075 make nice chips instead of sticky strings, are easy to work with, and are dramatically stronger and harder. The only downside, is that they really are not intended to anodize.

But it obviously will anodize, because AR15 receivers are made from 7075 T6 forgings, and they get a Mil Spec hard cote anodize and then some kind of teflon dip coating over the top of that.

Maybe the follow up dip is because the 7075 doesn't anodize very well? Or maybe it just doesn't take color very well and they want a good black color?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    But it obviously will anodize, because AR15 receivers are made from 7075 T6 forgings, and they get a Mil Spec hard cote anodize and then some kind of teflon dip coating over the top of that.

Maybe the follow up dip is because the 7075 doesn't anodize very well? Or maybe it just doesn't take color very well and they want a good black color?
    I believe the teflon dip is for UV stability-- 7075 anodizes just fine, especially in black. If you make an assembly using both 6061 & 7075, dyed to the "same" color, they wont be the same color. Especially clear. Black, however, is nearly indistinguishable.

I like 7075 better in every way, except the price.

CoolHand;
    I'm interested! I've been entertaining a SBR build in 45 caliber with a can but have not submitted my form 1 (s) for BATF approval yet! Speaking of our buddies, have you submitted your 80% design for approval. I think that can take a while and must be done before any are made available for the publiic! I'm always over cautious when it comes to a potential 12 year visit in club fed!
    Sure would like to see prints of this! I tried to visit the wg website but I'm not a member and did not know the three magic words to register.
    Thanks for posting.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)