586,531 active members*
2,814 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Lobe profile machining

Hello everybody!

I'm a LinuxCNC user and I'm really happy with the way it behaves. I build camshafts for spare parts here in my country and I would like to know if there's an easy way to do the following:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lobe_machining.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	181729

What you see is a representation of a camshaft lobe and a cutter, let's say a mill, or a grinding wheel. I'm not an expert in using CAM software other than for turning operations, and I've never seen examples like this one.

What I would like to do, is to generate the profile for machining the lobe using a mill for example, but using only the movement of the rotary axis and the linear axis. So, the cam program (Camworks, SolidCAM, Edgecam, this ones are the one I'm familiar with) would be generating the G-CODE compensating the tool radius to mantain the tangential contact point all around the profile.

So, to sum up. I'm trying to use a cam program, to test in LinuxCNC the possibility of generating a toolpath for a camshaft lobe that uses only one linear axis and one rotary axis, the tool is circular so this is doable compensating the radius, there's no need of a second linear axis for height compensation.

Do you think this is easy to do? I would love to test it, so I can rough my lobes with a mill in a machine that I can adapt by myself.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I hope I've been clear about my doubt.

Best regards.

Leonardo.

it dont looking difficult... however you need different code if you were using end mill perpendicular to rotating axis, and use a ginding wheel which one paralell with rotating axis..
    those camprograms possible handling both..

Hello,

We can do this type of thing with Dolphin PartMaster.

Please contact us [email protected] and we can discuss it further.

ATB
    Andre

another day i downloaded dolphin.. i think i have to take another look onto..