586,385 active members*
3,348 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234
    I've now had my Lightning CNC for two weeks and can still say that I'm very happy with it. I've now cut something approaching a thousand inches with the machine (all in 16 gauge steel). Here are a few notes by way of an update to my earlier post:

- While adequate for my needs, the maximum speed of the torch seems to be something under 120 ipm. It is possible that some setting in Mach3 is my limiting factor, but so far, that is the most I can get out of it. Since I'm not doing production runs (i.e., not in a hurry), it is simple enough to turn down the current on the Powermax 65 to match the speed and minimize dross.

- My demo license for SheetCam expired and it was necessary to renew that (110 GBP) as well as registering my copy of Mach3 ($175 USD). Another "ca-ching" for the project, but both are good programs that I'm happy to support. I haven't really used any of the other programs included as I already had a BobCAD license for generating designs for input into SheetCam.

- The dual-vee bearing wheels on the x and y axes mentioned in my earlier post are "settling in" to the aluminum track. The T-slot is literally yielding to the shape of the hardened wheels making them a better fit (for now). This does mean that the trolleys have stopped jumping out of the track. All is working well, but I'll continue to keep my eye on this as it continues to wear.

- I've decided to add x and y home switches to the machine. It hasn't been a big deal so far, but I would like to have an absolute reference on the machine. I picked up some nice roller-lever switches off of eBay for short money. I'll get them installed this week.

- I didn't really pay attention until recently, but the computer came with a folder full of videos and documents pre-installed. Included there is a video describing how to assemble a similar table as well as some excellent plasma CNC tutorial videos from Advanced Robotic Technology. Those videos are available online at A.R.T - Manufacturer of CNC Router & CNC Plasma Cutter Machines, but it was a nice touch to include copies with the machine.

- My next addition to the machine will be a simple set of casters so I can roll it outside when cutting--at least until I get some sort of containment system on it. It does make a smokey, gritty mess as is.

I would like to share my great experience with Lightning CNC.

I own a Custom Fabrication shop specializing in Chassis Design and parts for the air suspension industry.+

I purchased a 5x10 water table, turnkey setup about 6 months ago.
    Once I received the table I had a few questions on simple things to get it all working so after a few calls to lightning tech support they waled me through step by step and got it running.

In a matter of a couple weeks I had all of my parts that used to be outsourced redrawn and was cutting them myself. Little tweaks here and there to figure out what worked best for me in my shop. I am getting excellent cut quality off the table from 18 gauge sheetmetal all the way through 3/8" thick plate (thickest I ever need to cut). Now its been 6 months of good money making off my table day in and day out.

Here's where my experience with Lightning gets even better. About a week ago my shop computer crashed, I tried myself to get it up and running again but had no success. I then called lightning to see if they had any ideas, not that this was even their fault just a good ol Dell computer screw up lol. Tech tried to walk me through ways to try to reboot the computer nothing worked. So they ordered me a new computer immediately to get me back up and running so I wouldn't fall behind in a current big production run of parts. Today i drove over 2 hours to their headquarters to pick up the new computer just before the final employees were getting ready to close. So when I got there and swapped computers we realized that the cable that runs from my computer to breakoutboard was not on the back of the new one. So the employee and i tried to find an adapter of some sort or a way to make it workout. After no luck he called the Owner of Lightning, he came in after hours to try and figure something out. They then spent over an Hour working on my Computer trying to get it fixed or to figure out a Way to make the new one work without an adapter. Again No Luck.. The Owner then gave me their personal shop computer that they use for cutting to take and use for a week or so until they can get me the adapter or another computer just so I dont lose any more time or money in production. He also is unloading the hard drive off my old computer and transferring them for me so I dont lose all my Files that ive spent a lot of time developing.

Needless to say it has been a great experience with the Lightning team. Its pleasure doing business with them and I would recommend them to anyone looking to purchase an affordable CNC Table.

Thanks, Cody

I need to correct one statement in my earlier post. It turns out that my carriage is moving faster than I thought. I timed it from corner to corner on a G00 move and it was going just under 300 ipm. I guess that I was just being too conservative with my feedrates.

Just setting the record straight...

-joel

Hey guys just stumbled across this forum after getting the run around by these guys, i ordered my 5'x5' table on november 9th, i was told "14 days build time".. 27 days later i got a call from the shipping company saying they have a pallet of presents for me.. I then emailed Lightning asking if it shipped 100% complete and i was told yes (several days later).. Two weeks later (last tuesday) the truck showed up with my pallet.. I take it to my shop and start unpacking it and quickly realized they failed to send me all the motors, wiring, wiring tracks, the whole Z axis, power supply and a few other pieces.. So back on the phone to them and i got three different stories from three people, first was it probably fell off the pallet (highly unlikely being the pallet was pretty filled up and theres no way the missing parts would easily fit) then i was told they are shipped separate via usps and should have been there the same day and the third was "oh they shipped ups" but they couldn't find a tracking number.. I was assured they would be there the following day and after they didn't show i called back, i was then told that they didn't know what happend and thursday they would overnight me all the missing parts.. After not answering the phone friday afternoon or today im here, out almost $4000 with only a half ass (poorly built) frame of a table

Im not here to try and start any more **** but to hopefully prevent someone else from going thru this nonsense, do yourself a favor and buy elsewhere

Sorry, punctuation isnt my strong point haha

:violin: I just hope to have it running this weekend. Hopefully there are no more problems.

(chair)

PITEK, who are you?

I really hope that you call me.

I don't understand why you are reporting here instead of getting on the phone
    with us. It does not matter how long the phone call takes, if you have a problem,
    we need to talk until it has been resolved.

There is no good reason why you have gone so long without your table operating.

Re: Lightning CNC

bump

It would seem Lightning CNC had bailed.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...ml#post1562012

Attention Lightning CNC machine owners. If you have purchased one of their machines and need replacement spur gears, please contact Moore Gear & MFG. http://http://www.mooregear.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Diane-MooreGear View Post
    Attention Lightning CNC machine owners. If you have purchased one of their machines and need replacement spur gears, please contact Moore Gear & MFG. http://http://www.mooregear.com/
    Good to know.
    I wish you would have taught them how to install one on a motor.

Hello Guys! Im in the market for a CNC table. I myself tried calling lighting CNC about 8 times. Seems like a good thing I didn't get a answer. Been talking to Scott at Arclight pro. Customer service has been top notch. Along with youtube training videos.

I just heard the news...I think Lightening CNC is no more. Their webpage is suspended...man…my heart goes out to those guys that recently got a Lightening machine…there are no winners when a company goes down like that.

Arclight is pretty decent machine. They're a newer company (they started around the same time as lightening) they are actually not far from where I went to school. I have definitely looked into both machines previously and oddly enough actually came across a shop that had an arc-light dynamics pro 5x10 when I was in Oregon last. It was pretty neat getting to see it in action. Not a bad machine for the price. For my purposes, the plasma cam has been a terrific asset in the shop and is definitely my favorite piece of equipment. There are a couple of reasons why I preferred the PlasmaCAM in the end (of course this doesn't necessarily mean that what works for me is going to work for you...there are lot of great machines out there...plasmacam is definitely one of them).

You're in luck, I actually just found my saved notes from the archives from back when I was researching the different cnc cutting systems (some of the information may be obsolete, so I highly encourage you to check with the respective companies). I want to reiterate, it is not my intent to persuade you by using my own selfish opinion on this matter. Therefore I totally recommend, that if you see anything in my post that you didn't already know, make sure to call plasmacam, arclight or any of the other cnc plasma companies that you looking at, and verify information.

Here are some the factors that I considered (short version from my notes), I hope that they are helpful for ya! (Some are blatantly obvious) & feel free to add anything that I may have missed.

1. Bang for its Dollar

PlasmaCAM, 4x4 w/ servo motors, software, Ohmic Sensing Height Control, Plasma Cutter.
    PRO's: + Servo Motors, +DesignEDGE Software appears to be extremely user friendly (flawless) . Ohmic Sensing Height Control w/ collision avoidance (stops to avoid collisions). 3-year warranty on all parts, including electronics (minus grate slates), Wife likes this machine over the other because of the art work in the catalog...Plasmacam has been in business since 1998.
    Here is a video clip of what I'm talking about when it comes to ease of use. The video shows exactly what it takes to get from design to cut out on a plasmacam (video is not part of my original notes):

Arc Light Dynamics – Arc Pro 4x4
    Stepper motors, software (mach3 for controlling the machine, Sheet cam for tool path and exporting to g-code fro mach 3, Inkscape for design and export DXf files, and Gimp for working with pictures....yikes!), Arc-voltage Height Control.
    Pro's: Price was slightly better than plasmacam's, DXF clip art priced better, the machine is not the most exceptional cnc system out there, but definitely something to seriously consider because the price is great for an entry level cnc plasma system. Awesome warranty on the frame (just the frame!), warranty on motors 24 months, thru the original manufacturer and not Arclight (yikes!).
    Arc light’s video tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/arclightdynamics

2. How long is the warranty (including all electronics and machine components)?
    I have found that this can vary depending on the company that you call. Make sure to ask this question up front and right away, because it is very important! And it will set the tone and show you how much a particular company will stand behind their product. The industry norm is usually 1 year on replacement parts, some companies offer 90 day warranties, plasmacam's 3 year warranty is amongst the best out there.

3. How long has the company been in business?
    This is an often-overlooked question, that is extremely important in today's ever changing world. In essence, every time you see a new company come out of the woodwork, one must always question weather this a fly by night outfit or actually a legitimate company. This is not to say that all new companies are criminal enterprises or fly by night business, but with the kind of money that you are spending on a machine, whether it is $3,000 or $300,000--- an investment like this---(even $300 is not pocket change for me) --- and I don't expect it to be for many people --- It is always best to have a 'BUYER BEWARE' mentality when it comes to the new dudes on the block.
    Most of these companies go unnoticed when they mysteriously vanish, but possibly around 50% of these businesses go under within five years of setting up shop. Many of these companies start out with spectacular results and have a large following, only to end with an equally spectacular disaster...This disaster is especially for the guys that spent a bunch of their savings on a machine only to be left with an "expensive boat anchor".This is truly the hardest thing to conceptualize. But DYNA CNC (not to be confused with the legitimate DYNA Torch) and PRACTICAL CNC were pretty big names in the business, until it all came down like a house of cards. I guess we can add Lightening CNC to the list, and quiet possibly this company in the near future:

A. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...esolution.html
    B: My terrible experience with Burntables and my resolution - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

As I grow older, It amazes me how there seems to be fewer companies that actually stand behind what they sell you in the long run (this is in general, not specifically indicative of just the CNC industry) A good company will usually support their older pieces of equipment. Meaning that you should be able to still get things like parts, software and service without having to purchase something completely new after two years of use! A good example, even though it is not even remotely related to CNC machines or even metal work, are the LL Bean socks that I purchase many years ago. After a hiking trip a substantially large hole developed on one of the socks, and when I was ordering something else from LL bean, I mentioned the hole in the old pair of socks (as a joke) and they absolutely insisted on sending me brand new pair for free!!!! (I only had to pay the shipping). That's what I call a good company!
    Look carefully and ask the company and current machine owners, if possible, if the manufacturer will still provide parts and service for their very first machine model that they ever sold.

5. Do you have free phone support and web support?
    It is industry standard these days for companies to offer technical service free of charge, so do not get overly jazzed if a sales guy at a company is making a big scene out of this..if they are, then it is probable that they are concealing a less than acceptable warranty on replacement parts. The last thing that you would want is to be in the middle of a job, and something catastrophic happens (because It WILL happen one day) and it is usually always happens at the worst possible moment. So make sure that you will get the support and parts that you need well into the glory years of your machine ownership without having to give up your first born child for some parts.

6. Ask about the software and the steps that you would have to take to actually cut your idea out.
    If the sales person seems vague about this or if it seems like they do not want to talk about this in detail, then you could safely assume that explaining it to a new customer probably gives even him a giant migraine..then again, the sales person may simply not have the slightest clue about how to run the very system that he is trying to sell you (oddly enough, this occurs much more often that you could image!)

7. How many software programs would I need to master in order to effectively cut something out that I have designed (void of any pre-made file dxf files or templates). Many systems can require up to five different software programs that you have to learn in order to effectively cut something out (ie..design, control, tool pathing, image & photo conversion, Computer Aided Design for dimensioning ect...with plasmacam's DesignEDGE, one program will do it all).

8. If you are not very knowledgeable with Computer Numeric Control programming you may want to ask: Does the software require you to know about G-Code and how to program it? (a system that REQUIRES G-Code to be imported into their control software, no mater what some sales dude tells you, if you don't know squat about G-Code...then it might be time to learn how to program with it if you're considering a system with this requirement. (plasmacam's designEDGE effectively removes this, often burdensome requirement from the equation, most other systems don't).

9. Can I take a photo and cut something out based on the image? What are the steps involved in order to take a jpeg or gif image file and cut something out based on a image file. For example with DesignEDGE you can import an image directly into the program without having to convert it to a Bitmap ahead of time (in essence it does the raster to vector conversion automatically, further simplifying this process, which can be cumbersome and complicated on the vast majority of software programs for CNC cutting machines).
    Then you may want to ask them to go through the steps of making that photograph into something that you are able enjoy on a piece of metal.

10. If you are using another CAD program, are you able to import any existing CAD files directly into the control software and simply just cut or do I need to use one software program to make a tool path and then another software program to convert it into G - Code?

11. What kind of motors does the system have? Servo or Steppers?
    Servo motors are know for better performance (vs steppers)when considering cut speed, accuracy and consistency. And they are usually found on higher-end systems like water jets, lasers and mills and lathes machines (and YES they do make a difference when it comes to tolerances). A stepper motor can be less accurate and usually will move at slower speeds. They are found on many economy models because of their low cost. Stepper motors are not necessarily bad, but if accurate performance and speed are important to you, then a Servo based system is preferred.

12. If I prefer to hand draw something that want to cut it out, can you draw something on a sheet of paper and then scan it into directly into the software program?

13. How fast can the machine actually cut? ie usually servos can run faster and more accurately than steppers, thinner materials will typically be cut faster to in order to minimize dross.

14. What material is the machine's frame constructed of? (ie Steel vs extruded Aluminum). I prefer solid steel frames, instead of light weight extruded aluminum.

15. What is recommended for mitigation of dust and smoke?
    Are they selling an expensive GIMMICK to control dust and smoke? Is there an easy and cost effective way for me to make a water table or down draft system on my own? Will the company provide instruction or plans for this?

16. When I place an order, how fast can I get my machine? (I was delighted to find out that I could order a plasmacam and have it on my door steep within 4 days....every other manufacturer had a huge led time...in some cases 6 months! After I paid them! (Scary thought: Enron went bankrupt within one month of restated their earning for the previous five years....)

17. How much weight can the machine hold and has that been strength tested?

18. What are some of the other possible uses (besides plasma) with the system? Can I do everything that I need to on the entry level system? If a new feature or piece of hardware is offered at a later date from the respective company, will I be- able to upgrade my system without it costing an arm and a leg?

19. Does the entry level system come with a true Z axis MOTOR control or is it a possibility? Can I get the automatic height control later? If so, how hard is it to get later?
    An industry standard for this is a arc voltage based height control, some companies offer either digital height control or non digital. Digital, if used correctly tends to be more versatile that non digital. Higher end machines will typically offer a automatic height adjustment that can sense material using 'ohmic resistance'. Which has a much more responsive material sensing capability (vs the standard Arc Voltage Height Control) and it appears very a good feature in a production environment because it helps the consumable portion of the plasma unit last longer. It also appears to do a better job at sensing thinner material than 16 ga material. (Plasmacam advanced height control uses ohmic sensing and is one of the best height control mechanisms that I have dealt with. It absolutely requires zero user interaction when used correctly...I really like that it will actually avoid a collision, thus avoiding the dreaded and expensive occurrence of a dragged piece of material in the middle of a project)

20. How easy is it to upgrade to the more advanced features later?

21. Can I come the company's facility and spend some time seeing the machine in play? And also seeing how the software operates?

22. If you have your own plasma, can I use my own plasma even if it is a hand held system without a special interface? Can I use a machine torch if I decided to get one later?

23. Is it required that you get a plasma cutter through the company selling the cnc system or if I find a better price on my own, would that be acceptable?

24. What is involved in working with other tools instead of plasma? Is there more software programs that I would have to learn if I choose to cut wood, plastics, tube or engrave? or can I use the same software program that I would be already accustomed to for plasma? (Again, DesignEDGE is an extremely versatile program and is great for using different tools other than plasma.

Conclusion: The arc-light was less expensive than the plasmacam (not by much, because Plasmacam had a really good sale at the time and the price and that you could get into one was ridiculously cheap compared to the normal price---they usually have one once a year). I also valued a servo motor based system over the typical stepper motor systems that are found on most entry level machines; the 3 year warranty and an extremely easy to use software program that allowed me to materialize my ideas in to metal quickly, precisely and effectively.....without having to stare at g-code!!! -were some of the biggest factors for me personally.
    Don’t get me wrong, there was nothing fundamentally wrong or defective with the software that came with the arclight dynamics machine, however upon closer inspection, Plasmacam's Designedge software was nothing short of flawless!!...Best way to describe it? Like driving a Ferrari after test driving a Volkswagen (both great cars...but one is just in a totally different class than the other, this is the same when it came to plasmacam's DesignEDGE software in the cnc plasma world).

The last one was the game winner for me & you can probably guess the rest.

After all of this preparation, and although it was a rare occurrence for me to be this well prepared (for anything) in my normally hectic life, I actually felt extremely confident that I had made the right choice. I was finally ready to rock and roll…and was certain that the money bomb that I was about to drop on my wallet was going towards the very best entry level cnc plasma machine that money could buy.
    If I can be of any assistance, more than happy to help out.

Thanks,

J

Page 4 of 4 234