586,140 active members*
5,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Probe double live tool

Hello. I have a nl2500sy 2007. With mapps 3. And I can use different tooloffsets. But how do I probe 2 different tools that are on the same station? Let's say a double live tool. When I try do do so the machine tells me that the y axis isn't home? Because the y axis has to be at zero. Anybody know?

Skickat från min GT-I9505G via Tapatalk

Re: Probe double live tool

on my 2013 nlx2500sy it has mapps 4, I have to go into the operator panel into settings and set the parameter to allow probing with the Y axis not at zero. keep in mind that whichever one you touch will want to offset to that tool station. so write it down if you want to make that other tool a different offset, and then manually input the measurements into the other offset location.

so on mine its in this order.....

settings.
    selection 1 for operation panel
    page down to get to page 2
    look for "presetter with Y axis at zero position"
    and select that for "invalid".

once you do that, make sure your probe arm is down and then move the Y axis with the handwheel to the position you want, and same with x or z, and then jog towards the presetter in which direction you are touching off.

hope that helps

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely look this up.
    Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1234 View Post
    on my 2013 nlx2500sy it has mapps 4, I have to go into the operator panel into settings and set the parameter to allow probing with the Y axis not at zero. keep in mind that whichever one you touch will want to offset to that tool station. so write it down if you want to make that other tool a different offset, and then manually input the measurements into the other offset location.

so on mine its in this order.....

settings.
    selection 1 for operation panel
    page down to get to page 2
    look for "presetter with Y axis at zero position"
    and select that for "invalid".

once you do that, make sure your probe arm is down and then move the Y axis with the handwheel to the position you want, and same with x or z, and then jog towards the presetter in which direction you are touching off.

hope that helps
    Thank you. It works excellent. And by the way do you program you're machine at the control or do you use a cam software? If that's the case. What are you using?

at the control with g&m code and copy/paste. i seldom use capps. don't have a post for mastercam, nor have i gotten the hang of making lathe parts on mastercam so thats out...

CAPS is great once you learn the ins and outs of it (and sometimes lying to get it to do what you want) and have a tooling file set up. I've probably written about 40000 programs in 25 years using either CAPS or FAPT and a bit of G-code tweaking all while standing at the control. The built-in conversational software on most machines is good for turning but if you need to do live tooling work and complex profiles you'd be better going with PC-based CAM software like MasterCAM or something else similar.

Hi.
    Yes I use Capps all the time. And I think it's great on lathe toolpaths. But on the milling it could be a bit more complicated. So there for I'm looking for a good postprocessor for Mastercam or maybe featurecam

The Mori caps on the mapps controls does a nice job on the mills. Just no one buys the options like high speed canned cycles for it, dxf import and text engraving. Chamfering is really nice on the mills.