586,139 active members*
3,149 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Retrofit Spindle load meter

Got myself a spindle load meter recently from Tormach and fitted it to my PCNC1100 series 2 over the weekend. All relatively simple as its one hole and four wires so what could go wrong.

Well nothing I thought but when I cam to test the spindle as soon as I pressed the run switch the world came to an end and the machine took out the main MCB for the garage.

After three hours of testing and removing and fitting wiring I came to the conclusion the VFD had blown up. So I decided to remove it to see if there was anything obviously burnt out. When I got it off I found on the bottom right is a small lever operated switch. There is no way you can see this when it’s in situ but its there none the less.

What it’s for I am not sure but moving it earths out the VFD and I assume it’s a safety feature to release any stored energy in the VFD. What I now think happened is when I was positioning the wiring under the VFD so I could close the cable tray cover I must have moved the switch to the earthed position.

So beware its there and just waiting to ruin your day

Jim

Never heard of that on a VFD before?
    What make of VFD is it? and do you have the manual that explains it?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Never heard of that on a VFD before?
    What make of VFD is it? and do you have the manual that explains it?
    Al.
    The one on my 1100/II is an Emerson Commander SK, and yes, the manual is readily available online.

As the saying goes, if all else fails read the ******* manual.

Getting Started Guide - Commander SK:

1.10.6 Ground leakage current
    The drive is supplied with an internal EMC filter capacitor installed. If the input voltage to
    the drive is supplied through an ELCB or RCD, these may trip due to the ground
    leakage current. See section 4.3.1 Internal EMC filter on page 16 for further information
    and how to disconnect the internal EMC capacitor.

4.3.2 Removing the internal EMC filter
    Tab fully inserted: EMC filter fitted
    Tab fully extended: EMC filter disconnected

Phil

I would not expect an EMC filter to be described as a lever operated switch.

Matt

The filter isn't but the method of switching in or out of the circuit apparently is. It's actually a tab that you push in or out. It could be mistaken for a lever.

If all else fails read the ...!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    I would not expect an EMC filter to be described as a lever operated switch.

Matt

Odd that it would trip on a MCB unless a ELCB IS being used?
    Al.

Albert E.

I see the lever now from your picture. Going by your manual quote it sounded like a terminal jumper. I went to RTFM but I wasn't going to "register" just to look at a d@mn manual, that is so frustrating!

Matt

I see the lever now from your picture. Going by your manual quote it sounded like a terminal jumper. I went to RTFM but I wasn't going to "register" just to look at a d@mn manual, that is so frustrating!

Matt
    You can make up any fake invalid e-mail address and it will let you in. Stupid, yes.

The bottom line is that you should be able to leave it active unless an Earth Leakage Trip breaker is used.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    You can make up any fake invalid e-mail address and it will let you in. Stupid, yes.
    Yes, that is what most people do, so what has the company gained by collecting a bunch of fake email addresses and customer names like swhbrwevi wrevncyubhirhy?
    Just let me see the f@#%ing manual, if I like what I see, I will buy it. I don't need a call from a numbnuts salesman to help make my decision and I don't want to receive unsolicited emails for the remainder of my natural life.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The bottom line is that you should be able to leave it active unless an Earth Leakage Trip breaker is used.
    Al.
    Would this be what is commonly referred to as a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) in the US?

nitewatchman

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    Would this be what is commonly referred to as a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) in the US?

nitewatchman
    Yes.
    In some areas of the world, they are fitted as the main service breaker supplying the panel.
    Al.

Albert E.

I gave up worrying about such things a while back. It's a small price to pay for access to the very detailed manuals that are available. If you own the VFD it is worthwhile having the manual. It may help you to not blow the thing up.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    I went to RTFM but I wasn't going to "register" just to look at a d@mn manual, that is so frustrating!

Matt