587,030 active members*
3,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > Flipping the Z axis??

Flipping the Z axis??

Hi guys!

I'm after a some help with camworks 2012. I'm fairly new to the software, and been trying for days to figure out how I can reverse the Z axis.

Basically, I have a design in solidworks that requires the top and the bottom faces to be machined, I have a fixture for the part that allows me to machine the top face, flip it over ready to machine the bottom face (now facing upwards). The problem is I'm having trouble finding how you tell camworks to machine this other surface, every time I do, when I simulate machining the features on the bottom face the tool enters from other side, going through the entire part.

I hope this makes sense, please feel free to ask any questions if I haven't be quite clear enough on what I mean.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Regard
    John.

john..

there are several reason can cause this..

your models migth have only a shell and surface normals are showing wrong direction..

also a question.. does your model has ""wall thickness""

wheres your model placed? how did you flip? when you rotating on X or Y axis and you use a point not centered in Z direction then your model in case get virtually """into your machine table"""

then program can think your model is under the defined material block... so it will make toolpath trough on material..

this is weird explanation... i know... but of your description hard to imagine what other can cause ...

i dont know camworks, but your """error""" can be read on many forum with different programs.. by other users.. means folks falling in same error..

You should be setting it up as two seperate "mill part setups". When you do the first "insert mill part set up" click the top face of the part - then set up all your features that are machined on the top side under this setup. For machining any parts from the bottom, do another "insert mill part setup" but this time select the bottom face.
    So after that in your camworks tree you will have mill part setup 1 & mill part setup 2.
    If you cant work it out, post an example part and I will set it up for you so you can see how its done.

In my software I just build a coordinate system relative to each setup. Pathing and exporting relative to the new CS gives me the results I need.

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies, I've manage to get round to having a play on camworks tonight, as I've been so busy at work lately.

It appears that creating a second separate part setup worked as was suggested.

Thanks for the comments! They are very much appreciated!