586,907 active members*
3,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

AI Tool Monitor

I can't get this to work on a Robodrill w/ 31i control.

If I set it to "Machine Stop" it works fine, but when set to "Feed Down + Tool change", it does nothing.
    Just keeps drilling and going on like the monitoring is turned off.

Also, when I let the machine calculate the percentages for initial, warning, and breakage loads, I notice it's much lower than what I actually saw on the spindle load meter while drilling.

Are there parameters that have anything to do with this? I haven't found any yet while searching.

if you're talking about load monitoring you normally set the load for the axes with the limits and the machine will check it and stop if an overload occurs during feeding only. your 'tool change' thing sounds with it's machine-specific? i.e. non-standard.
    posting a pic of your load setting screen might help.

Hmmm, I tried to up two images of my monitor screen.
    I got the "Feed Down + Tool Change" to work, by using the values calculated, even though they seem low.

When I watch the spindle load meter, it consistantly goes to 78-80% while drilling
    But the "initial" percentage is calculated to 38.8%
    The "warning" percentage is calculated 49.4%, and nothing happens when I watch the spindle load go back to 80% every time.

That "detect value" has me confused, theres no explanation of what that is in the robodrill manual. I just know that if I watch the spindle load, and manually put that number in, it doesn't work. BUt if I use the seemingly low calculated values, and then turn the feed up to 150% during the cycle, the tool monitor takes over and does what its supposed to.

OK, the image attach is working, It just doesn't show up right in my browser....hmm....what am I missing?.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-04-05140156.jpg  

the images are fine.

did you teach the load first? if you did, try teaching the load with the feed at 120% or something higher than 100%.
    Its possible the load shown on the meter is not calibrated correctly to the actual load.

Yes, I did a trial run with the sharp tool, then stopped the program. Thats when I went to the monitor page and saw "Detect Value" 51.4%
    When I hit the CALC button, it gave me the values you see in the image for initial, warning, and breakage. The initial value is about 50% of what I saw during the trial. This seems to correspond to the "Detect Value" 51.4%

I'm hoping someone can tell me if that's true or not, and how to get it to detect 100%

you can't detect 100% unless you are feeding it faster. the machine has determined the cut you did took 52% of the total load. if that was a normal cut then that is the initial value as well. warning is usually +30% to 50% more and alarm is usually +20% to 50% more than warning.

I don't know anything about 'calc'. that must be something new. those pages you show are not standard fanuc screens that I have seen. could be MTB-specific?
    the detected value is the number put there when you run the first cut with a new tool. the other numbers you are supposed to put in manually. at least on my machine.
    if detected value is 52%, I would put 52% for initial, warning at 70% or 80% and alarm at 90% or 100%. or something like that. it depends on the tool and how much load it can take.

it looks like you could select [ENTRY] to put the numbers in manually?
    if you can't put the numbers in manually then there is a parameter or screen somewhere to set the CALC percentages and those values need to be changed.