Well let’s see. It’s been since 2005 (when I bought the mill) that I have worked on it. Actually some work in 2006 too.
I bought the mill new from Enco in 2005. Free shipping and at a deep discount during their 20% off sale. I originally bought it to use as a drill press for the most part and NOT to convert to CNC. I already had too many projects and this was not supposed to be one more. But as is usual for me it turned into a project.

I looked high and low, did a lot of reading and decided to swap the cranks for motors and do a full on CNC conversion. I saw some great machines out there, there were not as many builds as there are now and sure enough got the bug!!!

I need to preface. This might be considered an Industrial Hobbies build but I think I’ll keep it here because when I started it there was no sub forum for the IH machines. AND. I don’t have an IHs machine so it might not fit in. I spoke with Aaron Moss many times over a year and gained some great knowledge before he changed professions. IMO, great guy.

I bought his conversion kit in 2005 also. It was a well-planned kit he sold and fit within my budget.

So now fast forward to now (2013) and I’m getting back to the build. I dropped the ball somewhere around 2007 when I was involved with an even longer (1995) car project. The car had some money in it and I needed to secure the car so it would not just be left by the wayside. The car is not done but road ready. I can drive it so off to the races I go. NO!! Not car races, I don’t race cars The CNC conversion race to get her done and making chips before I move on to the other project in my home garage.

So here we go folks. It might seem like it’s all over the place. The reason why is I actually did some work in 2005 and 2006 so I want to show some old stuff along with the new stuff at the same time. In the end I hope to show the entire process.

It will be a picture loaded build cause I personally love the pics you guys post and I think most folks like a pic story along with my seemingly never ending talk LOL Yeah, I’m kinda wordy. Hope them dog gone moderators don’t shut me down fer talking too much.

First pic. The day the mill arrived. Again, free shipping. I think I paid 1700 bucks for it. I have the receipt, I should make sure. That’s oiled paper on the table and machined surfaces. Didn’t help, there was rust. I’ll show that and how easily it came off.

Lifting the mill onto my work table. That lil slug was heavy. I had to modify my engine lift (cherry picker with bags of rock) to get the reach I needed.

Here is a shot of the IHs stuff. Nice stuff..