586,171 active members*
2,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Loading a CAD file to V25?

Loading a CAD file to V25?

Can anyone help me with loading a DWG file in V25? I have saved the file in my documents and when I try to open it in V25 it gives me a fail window. I am very new to this, so you have to put it in really simple terms as if you were explaining to a 10 year old.

OMG! I have seen this before...It's such a bummer. The DWG format is huge and used alot. There are all kinds of programs out there that use it. There can be alot of things in them that maybe cant be read by BobCads translator. You could totally try to "Merge" the file in. If that doesnt help dude, then you may need to convert it to a different version. There are a few different ways to do that, that are really, really cool. Do you know how to do that? If you can share the file here, we can look at it. If you cant, you can try to look at autodesks trueview to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    OMG! I have seen this before...It's such a bummer. The DWG format is huge and used alot. There are all kinds of programs out there that use it. There can be alot of things in them that maybe cant be read by BobCads translator. You could totally try to "Merge" the file in. If that doesnt help dude, then you may need to convert it to a different version. There are a few different ways to do that, that are really, really cool. Do you know how to do that? If you can share the file here, we can look at it. If you cant, you can try to look at autodesks trueview to do it.
    Well crap! You lost me with "merge". lol I was told by the nice saleperson at Bobcad that with V25 you could import most any file type, including DWG. I guess that would be my bad for trusting a salesperson and not researching thoroughly on my own. Thanks for the reply. I'll try to convert the file to something more suitable for BC.

Do you know what version of Autocad that DWG file came from?
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Best answer is............from Burr........."If you can share the file here, we can look at it. "

File, Open, change Files of Type to AutoCAD part (*.dwg), Browse your system for your file and click Open.

PS, make sure the dwg is not open elsewhere on your comp.

Quote Originally Posted by vance1911 View Post
    Well crap! You lost me with "merge". lol I was told by the nice saleperson at Bobcad that with V25 you could import most any file type, including DWG. I guess that would be my bad for trusting a salesperson and not researching thoroughly on my own. Thanks for the reply. I'll try to convert the file to something more suitable for BC.
    Well, Going straight to "the salesperson lied" wont really get you anywhere.... BobCad "DOES" open DWG's, but I was trying to make light of the fact that there can be many programs that "Write DWG's" that contain data that is "Not supported in BobCad"... All DWG's are not created equal.

"Merge" is in the file menu and is equivalent to "import" instead of Open. It may help to drop off unsupported entity types and actually open the file.

I can't remember the name of the program at my old workplace, but it produced a DWG that was NOT a true DWG. AutoCAD, Solidworks, and PRO-E wouldn't open it. I had to use either Inkscape or Gimp to translate to DFX.

PS. both Inkscape and Gimp are FREE opensource graphics programs. They both have good conversion utilities!