I'm in the process of setting up a new 4x4 Plasma CNC (Dynatorch) and have a question on grounding. I have read many other threads on grounding problems and posts on other forums on electrical code but just wanted to see what the consensus was.

I have a sub panel in a garage that's about 30' from the main building and is wired 220v and is grounded back to the main building ( 4 wire - 2 hots, 1 neutral & 1 ground conductor). In the sub panel the neutral and earth are NOT bonded together.

In the installation notes it says to sink a ground spike and wire the plasma table, plasma cutter, control unit and PC to the same ground spike. In the electrical code doing this against good practice. They say to use the provided ground from the main building (in Canada anyways).

I was planning to wire the table ground directly back to the sub panel (6' away), the plasma cutter (Hypertherm 45) is already grounded to the same panel the add a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) for the Control electronics and PC.

The UPS (the case will be grounded to the sub panel directly) should keep any noise away from the electronics and the grounding cable from the table should earth any RF noise generated by the Hypertherm (the Powermax I understand is very good on low noise).

Does anyone see any problems or does anyone have the same configuration?

Thx

Ovo