586,616 active members*
3,201 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What can i cut with my laser ( 40w co2 )

Ive been trying allsorts of things but im just wondering if there is a list, or if people can post what mterials i can cut!

So far i have done (with no problems)... balsa, ply, perspex, ABS, cardbord, obechi veneer and a few other bits and pieces

With limited success .....Depron, eva foam, foamboard, corex, StarSpan tissue paper ( the cloth type tissue )

The list to try....can it be done, can i cut or engrave thin sheets of the following ( i dont have any to test!) ?

GRP, Carbon fiber sheet, Kevlar, Paxolin,bakelite, rubber, silicone rubber, glass , marble , slate, granite, nylon, silicone/mica gasket material ?

I tried to engrave on an amber glass pharmecutical bottle and it just exploded into bits as soon as the laser was on the bottle?

To colour aluminium, can i remove annodising with a co2 laser of 40w? to leave coloured parts, or will it just look bad?

Engraving Glass

Some people have tried engraving glass by covering the area to engrave with a moist but not dripping wet paper towel.

Ken

GLASS

Thats used if ur tring to engrave a mirror glass surface to stop the reflecting (I havent tried it and if a mistake is done it could cost u new lens i think )

Normal glass doesnt require a wet towel

Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by StarLoc View Post
    The list to try....can it be done, can i cut or engrave thin sheets of the following ( i dont have any to test!) ?

GRP, Carbon fiber sheet, Kevlar, Paxolin,bakelite, rubber, silicone rubber, glass , marble , slate, granite, nylon, silicone/mica gasket material ?

I tried to engrave on an amber glass pharmecutical bottle and it just exploded into bits as soon as the laser was on the bottle?

To colour aluminium, can i remove annodising with a co2 laser of 40w? to leave coloured parts, or will it just look bad?
    I've tried some of the above, here are my results...

Carbon fiber sheet = Would not cut - it melts and smells bad
    Bakelite = Engraves well
    Rubber = Thin sheets cut well, and can be engraved to produce stamps
    Silicone Rubber = same as above
    Glass = Engraves easily
    Marble = Varies - but usually engraves enough to fill
    Slate = Engraves well
    Granite = Engraves well
    Nylon = It will cut but not very clean
    Gasket materials = same as rubber, works well
    Anodized Aluminum = very easy to engrave

Hope this helps. I'm not sure why the amber glass fractured, perhaps it had a flaw or you used too much power. If you use a wet paper towel or just soap/water on the surface it will help prevent excess heat.

Zax.

AMBER GLASS

You will prob find the reason the amber glass fractured on contact is that it will be lead based
    You cant engrave lead crystal either without the same problem
    When the laser hits the glass it heats any metal within the product very quickly cause it to shatter so i dont think the wet towel will do anything for u either as it the metal in the glass heating up

Shadow
    :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by SHADOW042 View Post
    You will prob find the reason the amber glass fractured on contact is that it will be lead based
    You cant engrave lead crystal either without the same problem
    When the laser hits the glass it heats any metal within the product very quickly cause it to shatter so i dont think the wet towel will do anything for u either as it the metal in the glass heating up
    :nono: I have no problems etching leaded glass. In this case I'm willing to bet there was simply a major flaw in the glass, and the laser heated it up until it gave way.
    Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

What do you use Starloc?

Starloc, I would be interested in what your set up is that cuts balsa?
    Can you give me any leads?
    Thanking you
    Kvar

Kvar,

Balsa is easy to cut (up to 1/4", I haven't tried thicker), the edge will have a slight amber to brown discoloration.

I have also found basswood to be excellent, slightly heavier but produces a nice clean cut and not much scorching.

Zax.

this is cheaper laser machine. hope can help you.
    40 watt co2 laser machine cnc router without laser tube engraver cutter

Mainly used for engraving of non-metal materials: such as Rubber / Ox horns / Wood / Plexiglass / Atomic materials / Crystal / Bowlder / etc...

This is a 3 year old thread and the chap concerned has been using his laser very successfully since posting.

Dragging up old posts just for the sake of advertising is bad practice and will put people off your machines!!

not to mention thats a K40 which is crap when its brand new let alone 4 years old.

Hey, go easy on the guy. How many other laser vendors sell machines that can engrave "Atomic materials"?