587,035 active members*
3,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Live tooling in Lathe package?

Live tooling in Lathe package?

I don't think a live tooling option is available in the lathe package, but does anyone know if/when it might be?
    My company is about to purchase the XR2 Expert mill package with 4th axis along with the lathe package as well. But we might hold off on the lathe package until the live tooling is added.
    Right now we are planning on running a part simular as the one below in a lathe (large quantities). It's a simple part that I will most likely just program manually for now.
    But we plan on getting into more complex parts later on down the road and want the software to provide our needs.
    Should we wait to purchase the lathe software or might the live tooling be an "add-on" later on to XR2?
    Just wondering if anyone heard any rumors etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ss44.jpg  

I haven't heard any rumors about if and when.

But, if I was faced with this problem, I think I would perhaps make modifications to a mill post to make it suitable for use on the lathe for live milling. While perhaps not the ultimate solution, I think it holds potential. The main difference would be the letter names of the various axis, for lathe compared to mill and those can be modified.

Of course, one never knows the pitfalls until you try in earnest, but I think Peter at OneCNC UK did attempt this already. Maybe he will report in.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the input!
    That was the plan. To just program in the mill side of things and convert as necessary; axis letters etc. for the lathe.
    But that will be for the 50,000 pc. run.
    I don't know about you, but I would much rather load up a bar loader with 25 bars in a lathe, push cycle start and walk away for about 36 hours instead of loading/unloading 8 parts at a time in a mill.
    We don't have a mill with a pallet changer yet.
    Hopefully though, OneCNC will release a live tooling package soon.
    I would like to hear what Peter has to say too!

sorry not been round for a while family problems
    ok yes you can do live tooling using OneCNC with the mill package and the lathe package by amending the post and also you can do sub spindle aswell
    but we have to ammend the post,this is not supported by OneCNC at the moment but with time it will be
    have been able to do live tooling from there 2003 serie's upwards
    but takes time to amend post also end up copy and paste in the editer
    but its posibble
    best regards
    peter