586,911 active members*
4,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Prbloem with roughing surface pocket/countor operation on part in X5.

Prbloem with roughing surface pocket/countor operation on part in X5.

I'm having some trouble getting Mastercam to remove material between two round pegs and an arc island all of which are the same height, without it machining the four pockets below. I just want to create an operation that with just machine the pegs and arc island out by itself. However when i tried the Surface Roughing Pocket operation it did NOT give any option of check surfaces (just drive surfaces and containment), and when i tried the Surface Roughing Contour operation it doesn't clear the area out properly either.

[Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Problem with surface roughing operation.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	180384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Problem with surface roughing operation.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	180384

Can someone who is an expert in Mastercam explain to me how to machine the pegs and arc island or what is the best procedure(s) in Mastercam to do this???
    Attached Files Attached Files

how are you machining the block? are you using circle mill 2d hs? core mill? let me know. what exactly are the errors that you're receiving, i only have learning Editions at home so i'm not able to open your project.

Quote Originally Posted by VTPROS View Post
    how are you machining the block? are you using circle mill 2d hs? core mill? let me know. what exactly are the errors that you're receiving, i only have learning Editions at home so i'm not able to open your project.

I already generated the Facing and Contouring operations for this part, i am trying to remove the unwanted material around the two pegs and the arc island like in the picture in my first post, i do NOT want to machine the four pockets. I am using the surface roughing operation and even though i select the check surfaces to include those four pockets, it still gets toolpaths generating for machining those four pockets. I just want to clear the space between the two pegs and the arc island.

You don't have to use a surface toolpath, just use a simple contour toolpath, or a 2d pocket. Chain around the top of the 2 pegs and the arc section using either the 2d geometry you created the solid from or use solid chaining and select the top edges or faces. Set the top of stock to the top of the pins and set the depth to the bottom. Just make sure your chaining directions are the same and compensate to the outside.

i would really have to see the model to see exactly how you made it, unfortunately i don't have mx5 to open it, if you don't have much training in MASTERCAM MILL, i would suggest buying my video tutorial on it, i go into details how to machine parts very similar to this but unfortunately everyone designs their geometry different and i would have to look at your part to see what is causing the issue: here is a link to my video tutorial incase you would like to learn mastercam mill in depth

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271165084040...84.m1555.l2649

Here you go please review my paths under Cadcams Group. I started with pocket face and this will go back with cutter comp and finis the boss's standing for starters.
    also look at my standard pocket 1op that does your pockets to different depths and made a finish op auto for coming back with the smaller tool for the walls.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .