586,941 active members*
2,465 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Post Need help! Calculating steps per inch

Hi, I am new to this forum and I don't really post on them but this has gone to far. I am so confused.
    Lets get to the point, I need to calculate the 'Steps per inch' for my new DIY cnc machine and I have some cheap ass Chinese steppers, I counted the steps inside and they are, I think 52 or 51. I have a threaded rod that has 25 threads per inch. (Planning on getting a Ahme rod)

I have tried putting in different inputs into the Motor Tuning section of Mach3 but I got it working well and moved 1 inch as it said on the software, but that was only by jogging it, when I try making a 1" I it spins up the motors so fast and makes them sound like a power drill.
    And one more thing how do I calculate the Velocity and Acceleration?
    here are my specs:
    Motor: Type KH42JM2-024 / 1.8 DEG/STEP / JAPANSERVOCO.LTD ( 51 or 52 steps )
    Controller TB6560 V2 red
    Threaded rod: 25 threads per inch

If someone could tell me how to calculate it or even do it for me, I would be very happy.
    Thanks.

Your motor shaft does 1.8 deg rotation for every full STEP pulse. You have 200 steps per motor revolution, based on the motor spec.
    For every motor revolution your thread advances 1/25", assuming single start. Therefore 1 full STEP pulse causes .0002" of linear movement, assuming a direct drive. Or 5000 steps per inch.

Mach3 setup I haven't done. Gotta leave you some homework.

Great, thank you so much
    Ill give it a go tomorrow.

TiagoSantos I put in 5080 steps per inch and put the acceleration as 2 and same for velocity, its fairly slow but it moves 1 inch as when I program it to.
    So it all works now
    Thank you so much!

the 25 threads per inch sounds more like a 1mm lead metric threaded rod (25.4 threads per inch..).

No idea where you're getting the 51 or 52 steps, but those stepper motors are, like the model describes, 1.8 degrees per step - 360 degrees in a full circle, that's 200 steps per turn!

If you're using inches in Mach3, your steps per inch would be 200 * 25.4 * (driver microstepping settings).

The TB6560 drivers can be set as 1 step per pulse, or a variety of multistepping settings. If you're using 1/16 for instance, your steps per inch would be 200 * 25.4 * 16.

Velocity and acceleration are calculated largely by trial and error No idea what size your machine is and how powerful the steppers are, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's fairly small. Start with speed of 10ipm and acceleration of 3 or 4, see how that goes.. Increase the speed slowly until the steppers start stalling/skipping steps and back down 30% from there..