586,655 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > How to move a large Lathe

How to move a large Lathe

About 6 months ago I traded a 3 wheeler and a mud pump for a very old lathe its about 18-20 feet long and is about 2 hours from me. Off the top of my head I cant remember any specifics about the make/model other than it is from about 1900-1930.

After I purchased it I messed my back up pretty good and it is still at its old home, I am now working on moving it. He is going to load it with a backhoe onto my trailer, he also said that he believes it weighs approx 7500lbs.

The bottom is not flat all the way across under the head stock is solid, and then spaced evenly are 3 pairs of large legs, if I remember correctly.

The problem is getting it off of my trailer and moving it 30-40 feet into my garage. If it will fit in the garage while on the trailer I will just have to pick it straight up and then move it towards the wall a little.

Is there anyone that has done something similar? where would I start to accomplish this task?

Use pieces of pipe as rollers sandwiched between timbers.

We moved a lathe about that size into my father's shop way back when. We had one fork truck, and we rented another one. Used them in concert to move the machine into position. I was on one and my father on the other. It worked rather well but we had to move slow, pick it up, move a little set it down, repeat, repeat, repeat... Took us about an hour to move it off of a trailer and into the shop just close to where it was destined.

When he sold his shop, the guy that bought the equipment hired a machinery mover to haul the equipment out. They also used 2 fork trucks on the lathe, but you could tell those guys had done it once or twice. I'd bet from the time they picked it up to setting it on the trailer was no more than 5 minutes.

pay for a boom truck to get it unloaded get it down on pipes and roll it in on those and you will need help to move with pinch bars.
    archie =) =) =)

:cheers:

Thanks for the help guys, ideas are along the same lines as i was thinking, just wanted to see what everyone else thought.