586,968 active members*
3,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Computer Technology > USB, RS232, PARALLEL etc > cnc to pc but suddenly not the other way?

Hybrid View

cnc to pc but suddenly not the other way?

As of this morning I can send programs from CNC to PC, but not PC to CNC. I can open the program in Predator, hit send, it will wait for flow control, then I go to machine and hit receive. The bit seems to be getting thru to PC because the program is "punching" thru the box on screen, like normal, but then the CNC times out waiting for the data. I have checked settings, parameters, switched cables, same thing over and over. I am using a usb/9 pin adapter, a 9/25 pin strait thru adapter, and a 4 way switch box. Been working great for a couple years. I can send from any cnc fine, but none will receive, all just do as described. I have not changed any setttings, so maybe a hardware issue? We did have one heck of a storm here this morning, lots of lightening. No power surges that I noticed, 3 phase was not knocked out and I never saw the lights flash, but maybe something fried. But if that is the case, why send one way and not the other?

We had someting like your problem with our Excellon machine and never did find what it was. We ended up rebooting the Excellon cnc and the computer, but it seemed that it had to be done in a certain sequence, which I don't recall. I think that one of the ports hangs for some unknown reason and rebooting cleared it.

In your case you may have to break it down in stages, starting with the minimal amount of interface and be able to verify the signals with a multimeter, or oscilloscope. e.g. PC directly connected to the cnc without any switch boxes. Also note if any handshaking signals are being activated and not "hung" in the wrong state. I'm assuming you are using RS232 signal protocol here via usb. We also used an RS232 breakout box to get access to the various signals for troubleshooting purposes.