586,075 active members*
3,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 1992 Haas VF-2 High Power Ceramic Resistors

Question 1992 Haas VF-2 High Power Ceramic Resistors

Here they are:

My business just purchased a 1992 Haas VF-2. It was having intermittent power issues so in the process of tidying up the electronics cabinet I discovered that these (what appear to be) ceramic resistors were cracked and the wires attached to them scorched.

They are close to 1 inch in diameter and about 8 inches in length. I am not sure what they are exactly, there closest thing I can find are these:

http://www.resistorinchina.com/1-8-w...-resistor.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-1K-Ohm-...item35c3d8f570

More research leads me to believe that they are Waved Ribbon Wire Wound Resistors:
    http://mf-powerresistor.com/non_flam_rpw.htm

The electronics people at Reddit suggest that they are used to take up the voltage generated by the motor drives as the motors decelerate. I guess I'll give Haas a call :/

The vector drive sends the power to this when it's switches to regen to slow the spindle. I don't think they are that expensive from HAAS.

Haas Factory Support

Has this issue been resolved?
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Quote Originally Posted by KenFoulks View Post
    Has this issue been resolved?
    Not quite, I didn't have the time to get through to Haas today. My resistors were labeled 10 ohm, but I'm not sure what power wattage rating I need.

Haas Factory Support

Replacement part number is 32-2015 (REGEN RES 20 OHM MAG MACHINES W/MAGN) $58.00. I would strongly recommend a service visit from local distributor to ensure the spindle drive, motor are not damaged.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Quote Originally Posted by KenFoulks View Post
    Replacement part number is 32-2015 (REGEN RES 20 OHM MAG MACHINES W/MAGN) $58.00. I would strongly recommend a service visit from local distributor to ensure the spindle drive, motor are not damaged.
    Thank you
    I'm a bit weary about calling up a service tech because this machine has been refitted with a Fidia control plus the accompanying electronics/drives.

Off topic but how do you like the Fidia control? I thought about that years ago when I was more ambitious.
    It would be worth the service call just to see the look on his face when he seen the screen!
    Gary

The Fidia control is pretty nice, when it's working. The problem is with technical support; there's one Fidia rep in the United States, their support can be slow and expensive. My business partner is convinced that the right thing to do is to convert the Haas back to stock, but that's not a cheap option and frankly it would be a downgrade.

Because the Fidia control is PC based (Windows NT4) I was able to add the machine to our network (wirelessly). We drag and drop gcode files through the file manager and I even have vnc set up so we can remotely view the machine status from any computer.

I'd rather have a stock running Haas right now though ;___;

You want cheap power resistors? Electric stove burner elements, I just checked ours small ones ohm out at 40 ohms big ones ohm out at 22 ohms.
    Peer into a new HAAS up topside and see if you can spot one . . .
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.