586,500 active members*
3,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Enet comm problems with a VF3

Angry Enet comm problems with a VF3

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and really new to working with Haas mills. I have a Haas VF3 hooked up to a network and have a netshare folder pointed towards a computer running Windows 7 64-bit OS. I've finally gotten it to recognize the net share and thought that would be that, but our engineer is under the belief that if we use a net shared folder than any network disturbance or noise could screw up the part that is being worked on.

1) Is this a possibility? I figured the mill would read in the file and work from some temp memory.

2) If this isn't as secure as I believe, we do have a hard drive in the mill but our ethernet communication is very unstable. I am able to ping the mill's IP address and most of the time I am able to go into Windows Explorer and type \\HAASVF3 and see the DATA folder. Once I dive into that I usually have to wait about 30 seconds for that to load. Any folder beyond that either takes 2+ minutes or simply times out and acts like it looses communication. Is this a Windows 7 comm problem? I've talked to Haas' tech support and they were not able to help much over the phone. Has anybody else seen this type of behavior and/or know of a solution?

What I've tried already:

I originally had the mill set up with a static IP, subnet, gateway, and DNS server.
    I have tried running a single Ethernet cord (crossover) from the mill to the computer. This should have eliminated any electrical/network noise or any poor quality cables.
    I have disabled all firewalls and anti-virus. The only thing I haven't done is completely uninstall the anti-virus.
    My UAC (User Account Controls) are on the lowest settings so that shouldn't be inhibiting anything.
    I have set up a user account in the Security Policies window specifically for the mill and have shared both my C: drive and the net share folder.

I have had this problem of taking several minutes to display a folder on one of our HAAS machines. Something to try is push the Emergency Stop button in and then try navigating to your folders. This worked for us as one of the drives for x axis was introducing "noise" (HAAS techs opinion) into the control. The drive was replaced and it all worked normal again.

As for running your programs, save them on the HAAS hard drive you don't have to use the net share directory at all then. Just map the DATA folder on your local PC as "H" drive or similar. Then drop outs in the network wont cause your machine to stop.

Hope this helps.

Andrew
    VF3+TRT210, VF3, VF2+HRT160, VF2SS+TR160, VF2SS+TR160, VF5TR, VF5TR, VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS,VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS,VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS

Ok I tried pushing the E-stop and it still takes several minutes to open any of the folders. Our engineer was putting files on the hard drive but from what he describes the files copied over become corrupt during the transfer or are just missing pieces entirely.

I tried to load the PDF from HAAS for Win Vista and 7 but CNC zone is giving me an error
    Call HAAS and ask for WinXP-Vista-7 Enet Set up.pdf. There are some settings in Win7 that need to be changed.

Yeah I already have that one and that didn't help all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by cody56 View Post
    Ok I tried pushing the E-stop and it still takes several minutes to open any of the folders. Our engineer was putting files on the hard drive but from what he describes the files copied over become corrupt during the transfer or are just missing pieces entirely.
    OK, That was a try at an easy fix. Other times that we have had problems with comms our HAAS tech has changed the network board (we couldn't change the network settings) and the processor board (it was leaving off the % symbols). HAAS at the factory level don't seem interested in diagnosing the problems they just keep telling the tech's to keep swapping out parts until it works. This is OK while under warranty but afterwards it starts to cost a lot but what choice do you have?

Andrew.
    VF3+TRT210, VF3, VF2+HRT160, VF2SS+TR160, VF2SS+TR160, VF5TR, VF5TR, VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS,VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS,VF2SS+HRT-210HSHS

This is a 4 year old machine so I don't think it's under warranty, unfortunately.

Haas Factory Support

Try mapping the folder on the PC. To do this right click on My Computer and click on Map Network Drive.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

I have tried this and I still get the slow response/timeouts.

Haas Factory Support

What is the IP address of the pc and the Haas? The first three numbers need to be the same.
    You can try adding a small router/switch near the Haas to boost the signal output.
    Another consideration is the path of the cable. Avoid lamps, compressors, and other electronic noise generating areas.

If these don't work, please send me an email with your serial number and contact info. [email protected]
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks