586,379 active members*
3,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Very odd thing happened on my Series 3 770 today?!?

Very odd thing happened on my Series 3 770 today?!?

I was running some plastic parts where I'm doing a lot of cuts and the spindle was always at full speed.

I was only running about 1 hr 30 minutes with spindle shutdowns every 5 minutes for about 20-30 seconds.

As I was about finished with the job, all of a sudden my spindle started bogging down big time, as if the mill was under a huge load. At that particular moment, it was in a M0 with the spindle running and cutting nothing.

I immediately shut down the program and the spindle itself was pretty warm. As near as I can tell about 120F to 130F.

Any idea what happened? I shut down my machine to let it cool down a bit before I run it again.

Wade

Hm, I don't know. But you needn't worry about the temp, that's normal operating temp for the spindle. Tech doc SB0024 notes that the spindle shouldn't be above 155F.

I Think there's some kind of bug in Mach... I've only got 40hrs or so on the machine, and have seen that 3 times already.

Any chance this is the bug when you double click cycle start, it starts the spindle at 900rpm? I don't remember the exact details of the bug.

I also had to restart the whole computer because the limit switch wasn't functioning. After I did a restart, everything worked OK. I still let the spindle cool down for a bit tho, but I could still touch it and hold onto it for at least 10 seconds, so it was nowhere near 155 degrees.

It had me pretty worried.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    I Think there's some kind of bug in Mach... I've only got 40hrs or so on the machine, and have seen that 3 times already.
    Gosh, hard to believe they would let that bug just sit there. My limit switches all quit suddenly too, but haven't done any troubleshooting yet as I rarely get out that far on the machine.

I still need the limit switches to REFHOME. That's the one that was failing. It was crashing into the hard stops.

Freaked me out.

Wade