Hey all...
Let me explain our CAD/CAM workflow, and perhaps you can correct, or redirect our workflow needs..
Picture a wall between Eng dept and manufacturing on the floor.

We're currently designing with Solidworks and UG, with Solidworks being more predominant, and constantly being updated.
We currently machine both 2D and 3D, with Esprit being our primary 2D CAM system, and Delcam Powermill being our primary 3D CAM system (although they can crossover), and they are several years old...
Esprit likes to work with Parasolids, and Powermill needs IGS files to run correctly.

The fundamental problem, is that we've got a patchwork of softwares and OS systems on the floor for viewing, measuring and manipulating the 2d/3d inormation.
Whether it's Autocad, Draftsight or Esprit, we've got a constant battle trying to get proper translations to the floor. It's a system designed in where we need to pulldown information, rather than getting what we need.

Ideally, we could fix this one of two ways.
1) Updgrade our CAM softwares and keep up with Eng. workflows. Seems easy enough, since most CAM products tend to open up Solidworks projects and import parasolids/IGS files.
2) Get a translator to be able to do a variety of conversions..
I believe the second option to be more feasible for the moment, until management decides on spending more money at the CAM end of things..

If somebody could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.