586,266 active members*
4,313 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CSDJ-02BX1 servo problems

Hi,
    long time lurker first time poster.
    my friends and I worked a bit on the CNC, we now have X and Y more or less working. the Z axis has a problem though, and any help with it would be appreciated. It's probably (hopefully?) some kind of a mismatch between the motor drive electronics and the software that's supposed to be used to configure it. here is a detailed description, if you manage to dig up some info it would be great:

We have brushless servo motors with encoders on each axis. each has a matching drive (controller module).
    X, Y have 400W motors, Samsung model CSM-04BB2ANT3. the drive module is CSDJ Plus series, specifically model CSDJ-04BX2. These, as said before, so far work well.

the Z axis, on the other hand, has a 200W motor that also has a built-in brake, Samsung model CSM-02BB1ABT3. the drive module is CSDJ series (not CSDJ-Plus! that's important and probably the problem, see below). Specifically it's model CSDJ-02BX1. it looks like the "BX2' suffix means the 'plus' version and 'BX1' means the older, non-plus version.

we use a software called Smartjog, it's the software that was designed specifically to configure this type of drive modules. You can set all the drive module's parameters (there are at least 100 of those), such as various closed-loop control parameters, I/O pin configuration and various features tuning. note that this Smartjog is not actually supposed to be needed during regular CNC opration, just for tuning (which is unfortunately essential before anything works).

the problem symptom: the Z drive module refuses to work, reporting an "E36 - encoder type mismatch" fault. This happens even when it's connected to the X motor that was previously shown to work (with its own drive), through the same cabling that worked. the same fault happens even when *nothing* is connected to the drive module, just mains power and the serial communications to the PC!

we think one of two things is the reason. the most likely (and most optimistic) cause is that this version of Smartjog (version 4.0.0.4) does not work with the older CSDJ (not "CSDJ-Plus") drives. This is likely because when you create a new project in Smartjog you select the drive series, and there's only the "Plus" option (and other, non related series). so, this hypothesis would mean that there's no real hardware problem, just a PC software that doesn't know how to talk to the older drive. if that's the cause, we'll need either an older version smartJog, or (regretfully) to buy a new, Plus series servo drive (200$ or so).

the other possible cause is a damaged drive module, which means again buying a new one.

can you help us in someway and shade some light on the subject?

what we think that will help:

- finding a version of Smartjog older than 4.0.0.4, with the hope that it supports our older drive module. we didn't see it after a bit of googling, but maybe you can do better... there seems to be several companies involved here and I'm not sure of their business relationships (probably some acquisitions were involved): the motors and drives say "samsung", but when you google these models you find references to Rockwell automation, RS automation, and OEMax.

- finding an alternative software that can configure these drives. I'm not sure that's likely since this appears to be proprietary software written specifically for configuring these drives, but maybe someone hacked the protocol or used some unknown API... i'm sure you guys will know better.

- looking for info about this specific error (E36, encoder type mismatch) - maybe the software works fine and there is something we missed in configuring it? the encoder type is set to exactly the same one that worked in X and Y.

- any other ideas would be welcome...

thanks!
    Guy.

To summarize some points and add to my friend's post above, here are some specific questions we have:

- does anyone have Smartjog of a version prior to 4.0.0.4? if so, does it have CSDJ (not Plus) in the options shown when creating a new project?

- did anyone successfully use CSDJ servo drives (not CSDJ-Plus, i.e. suffix BX1 rather than BX2) with Smartjog 4.0.0.4?

- did anyone run into the E36 fault (encoder type mismatch) ?

- does anyone have the manual of the non-Plus CSDJ? I do have the manual of the Plus series but I want to check if the wiring etc are the same in the older series.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank,
    Guy.

tinkererguy Guest
    Update: Smartjog 3.0 was acquired, but the servo drive behaves the same. May have to buy a new one... did anyone have an encoder fault (E36) with their CSDJ series drives?

I also have the CSDJ-04BX1 models. I am having trouble connecting to a PC. I am using a null modem cable and the MDR 20 cable between the motor and servo drive. I am also using SmartJog 4.0.0.4. Any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance.

I just made contact between servo and PC. I can make the motor spin. I just tried to add a second PC to monitor the serial traffic between the first PC and the servo. I keep getting a signal lost error. When I get some good results, I will post them.
    What parameters are you adjusting to hold the motor? When I jog the motor, I get slow torque build-up which is not good for CNC applications.

we started with autotuning but with the motor not connected to any load (autotuning when the CNC was connected led to unstable and erratic spontaneous movements so we quickly turned it off). then, we started manually raising the velocity proportional gain and velocity integral gain, until it became unstable, then backed off some. the basic idea is outlined in the CSDJ manual (do you have it?)

Could you send me a link? I also upgraded my PC to Win7 and now I cannot put my hands on it. Could you send a link to that also.

you can find the smartjog software here:
    http://www.rsautomation.biz/customer...bMenu=Software

for the manual, you can find at different tabs of this site, or just google "CSDJ manual", it's available from many sites.