586,389 active members*
2,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Initial set-up

Ok so I have went to the default settings under the cam tree-

Type in my machine name- does not want to save my machine name, just saves machine_ default

Set the speeds, hit ok

then set the post processor to Mach 3 No ATC.

will not save any of this information when i open it back up.

My license is activated.

doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bobad.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dougmontgomery View Post
    Ok so I have went to the default settings under the cam tree-

Type in my machine name- does not want to save my machine name, just saves machine_ default

Set the speeds, hit ok

then set the post processor to Mach 3 No ATC.

will not save any of this information when i open it back up.

My license is activated.

doug
    Doug

Once you have done all your settings under "Milling Tools > Default > Current Settings" you need to close that area and then open again via "Milling Tools > Part > Current Settings", there you have to insert your machine in the "Machine Make" box, it will appear to be "greyed out" but next to the name of the machine is a small square button with 3 tiny dots on it, click that and a "Machine Selection" dialog will appear, now you should be able to use that to select your new machine from the drop down list.

Once you have selected the machine you want carefully check that all the settings are correct, eg correct Post, number tools etc, etc, if all is as you want it then click the "Save as a Default" button and that should default BC to that Machine and Post Processor every time it is opened.

Unless you are going to be doing some Multi Axis machining then leave that section alone under the "Part > Current Settings" area, same goes for the "Default > Current Settings > Machine Definition", leave well alone unless you have an issue with your code being produced with X and Y code reversed, example, an X plus move is shown in the code as X-**, then you can go to the "Machine Definition" area and check under each axis where it has the Direction it will show say "X-1.0", try changing that to "X1.0" and that should change the code output to the correct code.

Hope that helps a little, it can be a little confusing (To me anyway ) having to set a "Default" under the "Part" area, I would have expected that area to be called the "Default" setup area. But hey, maybe just a "typo" ? ?

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

new machine set-up

Couple more questions, since I am running mach3 no atc as my post, this is what i should select as my machine correct.

when i open Bobcad25 from desktop, make my changes then should I hit "save as" because it is not saving my information I input into the "machine settings" or the part settings when i close out and reopen from the desktop..it is right back to default machine.

thanks for your time in advance.
    doug

Couple more questions, since I am running mach3 no atc as my post, this is what i should select as my machine correct.

when i open Bobcad25 from desktop, make my changes then should I hit "save as" because it is not saving my information I input into the "machine settings" or the part settings when i close out and reopen from the desktop..it is right back to default machine.

thanks for your time in advance.
    doug
    To be honest there is no need whatsoever to start creating machines etc, just leave it at the BC_3x default and it will work fine, as for needing a specific Mach3 post that`s not needed either, Mach3 is best used with the "Generic Fanuc" default Post.

Anyway, in answer to your question above, don`t know where you are getting the "Save as" from unless it is the one under the "File > save as" tab, that is for saving programs out, nothing to do with setting up your machine and Post.

If you follow the steps I put in my last post then that will work, you MUST click the "Save as a Default" button for any machine changes to be saved.

I`ve done a small video for you, sorry there is no sound, having some trouble with my headset mic, go to the link below, it is a .wmv Windows Media file so should automatically launch your Windows Media Player and run the video for you.

http://www.alroracing.com/movies/Ini...tup_(Doug).wmv

Regards
    Rob

Thanks

Rob, thanks for taking time to do the video, you are aewsome.

I tried doing the same thing as you, did but on the Settings>part>
    it was only giving me the "default machine as a selection even on the ....
    button.

I am uninstalling and reinstalling v25 to start fresh.It is not seeing the .millpst directory from the ... so I can grab My Veloxcnc to set as my default.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    To be honest there is no need whatsoever to start creating machines etc, just leave it at the BC_3x default and it will work fine, as for needing a specific Mach3 post that`s not needed either, Mach3 is best used with the "Generic Fanuc" default Post.

Anyway, in answer to your question above, don`t know where you are getting the "Save as" from unless it is the one under the "File > save as" tab, that is for saving programs out, nothing to do with setting up your machine and Post.

If you follow the steps I put in my last post then that will work, you MUST click the "Save as a Default" button for any machine changes to be saved.

I`ve done a small video for you, sorry there is no sound, having some trouble with my headset mic, go to the link below, it is a .wmv Windows Media file so should automatically launch your Windows Media Player and run the video for you.

http://www.alroracing.com/movies/Ini...tup_(Doug).wmv

Regards
    Rob

Rob, thanks for taking time to do the video, you are aewsome.

I tried doing the same thing as you, did but on the Settings>part>
    it was only giving me the "default machine as a selection even on the ....
    button.

I am uninstalling and reinstalling v25 to start fresh.It is not seeing the .millpst directory from the ... so I can grab My Veloxcnc to set as my default.

Doug
    Doug

It is not the .millpst directory where the Machines are, all Machines are in the C\BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAD-CAM V25\MachSim folder, look there to see if the machine you created is in that folder.

See attached image, do you not get the Machine Selection dialog box with a list of machines including the new one when you click the little Blue arrow ? ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Initial setup.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	178773

Regards
    Rob

machine set-up

Rob, really thanks for your time,

I do not get anything more then default_machine in the .....More button.

It is not taking me to the machines in the C\BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAD-CAM V25\MachSim folder.

I also changed my permissions in the folder v25 was installed in.

I have a support ticket submitted, hoefully they can help get past the hold up

"default_machine"

doug

Rob, really thanks for your time,

I do not get anything more then default_machine in the .....More button.

It is not taking me to the machines in the C\BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAD-CAM V25\MachSim folder.

I also changed my permissions in the folder v25 was installed in.

I have a support ticket submitted, hoefully they can help get past the hold up

"default_machine"

doug
    Hi Doug

Sorry but I`m baffled, where are you getting the words "default_machine", doesn`t exist in the MachSim Directory, have you looked in there to see what is there ? ?

When you click on the button with the 3 dots (...) on it does the "Machine Selection" dialog not appear on your screen as in the image I posted ? ?
    If it does then when you click the small arrow that points down on the right hand side of the box does it not drop a list of machines for you to select from ? ?

Regards
    Rob

"Sorry but I`m baffled, where are you getting the words "default_machine", doesn`t exist in the MachSim Directory, have you looked in there to see what is there ? ?"

Default Machine is what shows up in the box. when I click on the button with the 3 dots (...) it shows "default machine" again and does not show anything else or whats in the directory (machsim).

When you click on the button with the 3 dots (...) on it does the "Machine Selection" dialog not appear on your screen as in the image I posted ? ?
    If it does then when you click the small arrow that points down on the right hand side of the box does it not drop a list of machines for you to select from ? ?

Seems simple especially with your video,

doug

dougmongomery

sorry for jumping in but could it be possible that you licesenced the demo
    version, that is the only time i remember seeing default there , also make sure you get the last up dates installed , and under help check your licence make sure that is correct, all else fails call them

demo

I thought that could be the issue so I uninstalled completely last night, shut down computer, looked for it it was not there- then reinstalled with the disc, then activated the liscense they gave me.

Looked at the liscense codes-all are checked green showing it activated...

Guess i will check to see how well their support is with the support ticket....
    Doug

dougmontgomery Guest
    so I have a support ticket in, I am pretty sure it is a permissions thing on the drive that bobcad installed on. I do not know how to change permissions even after reading a few tutorials so i will wait for tomorrow to try to call support back.

doug

The Engine Guy Guest
    Hi Doug

Just thought I`d check in with you to see if you have a solution yet to your problem, would be nice to know what the "fix" is

Regards
    Rob

dougmontgomery Guest

Issue with Machine setup fixed

Ok so Shawn helped me out at Bobcad, He knew exactly what the issue was, it was an issue with my indexing and here is the screenshots. The highlighted yellow box was checked under Properties>Advanced> compress contents to save disc space.

Once we unchecked this box in hilited in yellow, it worked fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bobcad issue.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	179256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bobcad issue 2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	179257

Thanks for all your help TEG!!
    doug

SOLVED !

Hi Doug

Excellent, glad you got sorted, yet another one to add to the list for reference

Regards
    Rob

I am starting to think that may be my problem...

Glad to hear everything is working for you now Doug. Let us know if you have any more issues. And just and fwiw for anyone who wishes to know why the compression is a problem, is because it changes the format of how the data is read and saved. This is why BobCAD was unable to find the file, because the signatures of the file were different than in the non compressed version of the files.

Thanks Sean, understanding is the key to success

Regards
    Rob

Doug,
    I have exactly the same problem.
    Did you get it fixed?
    If so how?
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Sean,
    I have the same problem, however I do not have compression ON, so this is not the full solution.
    I use a SSD for my C: Drive.
    This problem came up only after my License was upgraded to have Simulator Pro, before then I could make any machine change and see any of the machines I setup.
    So there are also other issues with BobCAD.
    Regards,
    Mauri.

Page 1 of 2 12