586,753 active members*
7,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Need help identifying a lathe I bought at auction, and other issues.....

Need help identifying a lathe I bought at auction, and other issues.....

So, I went to a machine shop auction early this week and picked up a small lathe to add to my shop. Didn't pay very much for it, despite the fact that there were dozens of people looking at it over the course of the day.

Well, had a flatbed tow truck bring it to my house and dropped it off in my garage. Slowly moving it across the garage floor on machine skates, when one of them slipped out from under the machine. In the blink of an eye, the machine went over. The cross slide is pretty banged up. Handwheels are broken. It's gonna take me a bit to get it rebuilt.

I don't think I've ever had such a sinking feeling than seeing the lathe on it's side, spewing out coolant and oil.

It's an asian machine of unknown manufacture. I will try to find parts for it, but I suspect I'll have to make many of them myself.

I googled the name on the headstock. Found the company in Dover NH. They haven't imported machines for several years, as that side of the business kinda disolved. No help there. I tried pressing for info, but no luck.

So, any ideas?

I think it might be one of those machines that are sold under many labels. It looks like one that was foisted on a friend of mine labeled "Birmingham", a real POS.

To many negatives to spend time on.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    It looks like one that was foisted on a friend of mine labeled "Birmingham", a real POS.
    Dick Z
    Originated in Birmingham province of China! :.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

That looks like a Jet or maybe a grizzly.

It could be worst.

Imagine a high precision diamond turning lathe taking a back flip off a fork lift. I only got to see the end result of the backflip and can say confidently that you aren't that bad off.

If you have a lathe now you can certainly make many of the parts you will need. It kinda looks like you got lip icky in that either zinc or aluminum die castings where used and as such effectively cushioned the machine. Of course it would be well advised to inspect the machine closely for cracks and such.

Need help identifying a lathe I bought at auction, and other issues.....

That's gonna need a new screw. Ouch.

It will probably straighten. Worst that can happen, is you bust it. Probably reasonably soft if it bent and did not break.
    Try to do initial straighten move in the machine to make the force in opposite direction it was bent from.

KZ1000 is correct, it's a Jet.

Refer to post #3

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Hey guys it dont take a rocket scientiest to know it's a china made machine, however with that said, i went and looked today at one of my clients machines and it is a spitting image paint/controls/ everything of his JET Lathe. Heck, it even has the same casting blow out as the one pictured. for parts contact MSC. I'm done here!