586,682 active members*
2,738 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Down-cut carbide end mills?????

Does anyone have a source for down-cut spiral end mills? Do they make such a critter? I've looked and looked but so far no luck.

I'm cutting out handles for a local knife manufacturer from 18" x 32" sheets of Dymondwood. Man that stuff is hard on bits. Must be why they call it "Dymond"wood. I've been using 1/8" carbide down-cut router bits but at $15.00 a pop, and a new bit every sheet, that's getting expensive. I like the down-cut because I can leave two small "tabs" or bridges on one side of the handle and the down pressure from the bit keeps the piece in place without needing a vacuum setup.

I use 1/8" cut dia. because I can squeeze out more pieces per sheet, and the manufacturer likes that.

Any leads for down-cut end mills will be greatly appreciated.

BW

Search for center cutting endmills.

Two flute center cutting endmills are a lot stronger than four flute.

In metalworking, they're called right-hand end mills with a left-hand helix.
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Don't know what kind of edge these would leave, but they cost way less than $15 a pop.
    GlenBA
    www.lathedweller.com

BW....now you know why he has you cutting these out.....

Sorry, I should have mentioned that those were 2 flute, center cutting bits that I was using. Wayne, they look just like the ones on your Home Depot link but I'm using Whiteside bits. Thanks mrainey for the proper nomenclature. Now I know what to look for.
    I'm hoping I can find RH w/ LH helix 1/8" cut dia. end mills for less than $15.00.

Thanks guys

GlenBA, I ran across those in my searching too. I'll bet they would leave a less than smooth edge from the looks of them.

ViperTX, I think you are right !!!

Have you tried Vortex Tool. I've purchased bits for trimming special composite panels to size from them that had to be 'downcut'. The bits aren't cheap, but they are good. They also advertize that they can sharpen them.

Success !!! The down-cut 1/8" dia. carbide router bits that I was using to cut that .200 thick Dymondwood just wouldn't hold up, so I went with a TN coated 1/8" end mill. It's a std. up-cut so I had to beef up the tabs a little to keep the pieces from coming loose. But man what a difference.

The Dymondwood panels are approx. 18" x 32" and I can get 77 of this style of knife handle out of one sheet. Seven rows of 11 per row. The bit has to cut approx 700 inches per sheet. I just finished my 3rd sheet with the same TN coated end mill, whereas I barely made it through one sheet with the router bit. My tooling cost per sheet went from $15.00 to about $3.50.

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. BW