586,923 active members*
2,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion

Hybrid View

Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion

Is that a Novakon mill in the back of the photo?

If so, how do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post

I have a Novakon Torus Pro/Servo on its way, that I hope will be arriving next week....

25"X x 15"Y x 12"Z travels, 500 IPM with AC servos, 6000 RPM Spindle. It will get a full enclosure, PDB and 12-tool ATC very soon after it arrives.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    I have a Novakon Torus Pro/Servo on its way, that I hope will be arriving next week....

25"X x 15"Y x 12"Z travels, 500 IPM with AC servos, 6000 RPM Spindle. It will get a full enclosure, PDB and 12-tool ATC very soon after it arrives.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Yeah that should be awesome, I think you will be quite happy.

Stripped the parts off the lathe today, only took a few minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   003.jpg  

Couple of thoughts on this conversion:

1. My main goal of this project is usability, reliability and aesthetics. Its not much use to me if I can't use it when I need it.

2. I don't plan on keeping the compound. I plan on using my phase II AXA tool post so I will machine a steel spacer block to raise up the tool post. I may set it up so I can run two AXA tool posts, or at least a drill chuck for automated drilling. Ditching the compound will give me a bit more rigidity as well.

3. Still trying to plan out the electronics. I know I want proper Estop functionality tied into the VFD and Mach. I obviously want automated control over the spindle but I want to be able to switch to manual control as well for checking part run out and vibration. This control will be most likely located in the original switch control location.

4. Trying to figure out if I need a separate electronics cabinet or if I can work with the space provided.

5. Will go with Mach parallel control for now, might switch to a Ethernet smooth stepper later.

6. Will use the charge pump feature on the BOB.

If anyone has any cool ideas please chime in. Now is the time!

In my opinion the G0602 saddle as it comes from the factory needs to be checked out carefully if you want good results. In my case, as delivered I could grab the saddle and lift it up and down about .003" in the back" After some careful fitting of the gibs using sandpaper and a stone I was able to eliminate this slop. Also the correct type of oil and proper lubrication are critical to this tolerance. I noticed the lead screw banding went away after I made this change. Here is an example of G0602 lead screw banding (I found this photo on the web) when using the power feed. In the second photo you can see the NON ADJUSTABLE saddle gibbs. On my 12x36 lathe these are adjustable. Not sure if I am using the proper terminology. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_5043.JPG   341.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post

Is a NM145 about 1 1/2 years old, I really like it, I think I paid around $4000 new for it. Variable speed spindle cranks up to 6000 RPM, flood coolant, quite rigid setup. I need to build an enclosure though LOL! The ball screws on it are pretty nice as well, I measured the back lash a while ago I think it was around .0004. Really easy to work on as well if needed. The PC, power supplies, and drivers are all in the rear cabinet. I would do it over again in a heart beat.