586,392 active members*
3,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > CamSoft Products > Galil 1750 & ICM 2900 & Vexta 5 Phase Wiring

Galil 1750 & ICM 2900 & Vexta 5 Phase Wiring

I've got a DMC 1750 and a new ICM 2900 from galil. I also have an opto 22 G4 32 channel I/O relay board that I need help understanding how to wire all of these together. If there is someone out there that can help me or draw me some type of drawing to show how they connect together with my 5 phase super vexta stepper drivers it would make me very happy.

You posted under the Camsoft forum so I assume you have a Camsoft package also? If you are the registered owner then Camsoft should supply a Generic wiring for this set up considering it is not cheap software.
    Do you have the PC slot I/O interface card for the Opto22 board?
    If not the registered owner then a probabally a generic schematic could be furnished from one of us that has done it.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Galil 1750 & ICM 2900 & Vexta 5 Phase Wiring

Al thanks for the quick reply, to answer your question, yes I do have camsoft softwear and I did buy it from camsoft new. Know to answer your next question no I have not asked camsoft for any wiring help with this.

I have not had very much luck with them in the past, that is why I joined cnczone, from what i've read here in the past it seamed the I would get better answers here.

I can see what I have when I get back to the shop.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks Al, any help would be great.

galil support

Go to galil http://www.galilmc.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi and register to ask a question in the connections forum.

Having camsoft control software won't change the wiring diagram.

First If you don't already have it, download the Galil 1700 manual and the ICM2900 sheet of off the galil site.
    Read through the manual regarding setting the jumpers for stepper operation and also decide if you want to use any of the Galil inputs etc, opto-isolated inputs whether on not you use internal 5v (jumper) for these or an external supply, if you set for external supply the LSCOM and INCOM have to be fed from the external supply.
    The stepper connections are quite staight forward as you probabally do not have encoders to hook-up.
    The 4pin blocks on the ICM are numbered 1 to 26 blocks with 4 pins per block, the first one Block 1 will be the hook up from Galil to stepper driveZ, You will notice that block 1 pin 2 is SIGNZ and Block1 pin 3 is PWMZ , Block1 Pin 4 is GND
    So the hook for this and subsequent X&Y (Block 3 & 4) will be the same.
    SIGNZ goes to the direction input on the stepper drive.
    PWMZ goes to the Step input on the drive.
    GND is connected to drive Common.
    Do the same for SIGNX SIGNY etc.
    I assume you have a Keithly I/O board or equivalent to feed the OPTO board, so if you have the multi conector cable the only other connection I make for the OPTO board is from the PC power supply using one of the HD connectors, use the Black and Red 5vdc to connect to the two logic terminals on the Opto Board.
    If you download the Terminal Program from the Galil site you can run your steppers and tune the system outside of the Camsoft s/w.
    Notice in the Manual that instructions that pertain only to steppers have a little square wave logo next to them.
    When designing the system, I always set up a ground bus to connect all the power supply commons and shields at this point, this avoids problems with noise etc, so use shield cable for all low level signals and make sure current carrying cables are twisted together.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks guys I'll try it when I get home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man
    If you download the Terminal Program from the Galil site you can run your steppers and tune the system outside of the Camsoft s/w.
    Al.
    This is a great way to test your Galil board and wiring. Just a heads up, the Camsoft Galil driver is different than the driver from Galil for Terminal. Some folks have run into a terrible mess getting the wrong driver and hosing up Camsoft.

I'd suggest you set up a system restore point and roll your system back to the pre-terminal state after testing with the galil program.

karl